Thursday, September 30, 2010

Left-overs.....

You've all heard of a "mushroom fairy ring"....... .....this is a "Mallard Duck butt ring". LOL

As soon as I got my knee shot, I told Mike to take me to the wetlands! That is called being "optimistic"! Well.....of course the shot wasn't really working yet, so I just checked the ducks to see if the Shoveler was still there. Yep! I wish a male would show up....they are really pretty and she needs a mate.

It turned towards me, so I got a better shot of that "shovel" bill.

This pair is a bit light.....wrong time of day and wrong camera settings, I am sure.

The favorite spot in the overhead sun, seemed to be "under the boardwalk".
(That was a song, once upon a time :-)

Balance

Snoozing

Line-up
Feathers

Headless
That about sums up the ducks today. Sorry about the poor light on these.


I saw something once about taking photos of birds on a wire and turning them into notes of music and playing them......

.....I think this would be full of arpeggios and sixteenth notes!

We drove down to the river to check the level and take some sunset shots (saving that for tomorrow). We were almost too late for the sunset, but I could see a bit of the light shining on the Aztar Casino riverboat.

The hotel across the street.

Back home, I found out that...yes, the hummers are still hanging around. They suggest leaving up feeders into October for stragglers. Shall I make a little sign pointing "south" for her to give her a hint it's time to leave??

12 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Love all your shots especially the duck ones. And the musical notes! A x

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Neat shots.I like the ring of ducks.
Thanks for your prayers.
Blessings,Ruth

grammie g said...

HI mary The Shoveler still cracks me up!! What a kisser on that one!!: }lol
The headless ducks is to funny and birds on the wirer..well arpeggios and sixteenth notes is all so out of my knowledge of music but is funny!! lol

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I love seeing the Shoverler Duck... That bill does look like a shovel.. Funny!!!!

Great pictures Mary... Hope your knee is better today. Pain is no fun to deal with... I KNOW.

Didn't realize you all were so close to Casino boats... Lots of reasons to WASTE money, huh??? I've never done it --and never will.

Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

SJ Anne: I think my knee shot was making me see funny things yesterday :-)

Ruth: YOu and Jake are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

Grammie G: Do you think that is where the expression "What a honker" comes from? Probably not, but it would fit.

Betsy: Knee feels better today. Not perfect, but certainly better! I was dragged to the gambling boat once on my birthday, but haven't been since except the restaurants. No money to waste! It's the practical German in me :-) The Ohio River is loaded with casino boats.

Jenny said...

Those shoveler bills are truly amazing. We have them over here too, though I don't get to see them much and when I do they tend to be quite distant. Hope the injection 'kicked in' later!

Jenn Jilks said...

Fun photos! I miss the lake and my ducks, but not too much...
The hummingbirds have left us...
But the trees are phenomenal!

Mary said...

Jenny: Considering that all the ducks seem to "shovel" in the shallow water, it makes you wonder why they developed such a big wide bill. Taking it easy still on the knee.

Jenn: I don't know how much color we will get with our dry weather. I've seen a few trees turning.

George said...

I'm glad you got out to the wetlands and captured these wonderful pictures of the ducks. I also like your birds on the wire.

Mary said...

George: Thanks!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Just LOVE that boat Mary!! It is a wonderful way to cruise the river. I was lucky enough to go on one in Quad Cities. The woodwork inside was fantastic.

Rose said...

Haha...love the Duck Butt Ring...made me smile to read that.

I always wonder why birds congregate so close together on wires...is there a sign that says no parking elsewhere? I have always wondered that....

The other day coming home from Sarah's, there is this pong we pass....it is highway on one side and big subdivision on the other....there were ducks all along the far bank in the middle of the afternoon and all of them were asleep in the sun. I wished I could have got a picture but it is a busy road and I had not taken my camera.