Thursday, September 16, 2010

At home...

Haven't taken many photos......hope to get out today.Wet!
The Goldfinch discovered the "spa".
Goldfinch female getting ready to drop down to the fountain.

Downy getting some suet and catching a bit of sun.

House Sparrow basking in the sun.

The Red-Bellied Woodpecker showed up and wants me to get some more of the big suet cakes.

Titmouse trying for a bite.

Hopey rolling on the concrete. She has been banished to the house. She wants to spend every minute outside and the other night she wouldn't come in or let us grab her to drag her in. A couple hours later I looked out and 2 skunks were out there with her! One had its tail up in the air and was staring at her. I grabbed a broom and started making a lot of racket and scared them off. Then when we went out to try once again to grab Hopey, she just calmly let us pick her up and bring her in. Cats! She hasn't been allowed out since. The one skunk was really beautiful...almost all white. If I hadn't have been so scared they would squirt Hopey, I would have taken a photo. I need to make some feeder changes that allow less seed to fall on the ground for the varmints.

Hopey's face.....just playing around with a so-so photo, but I don't have a good photo program. I intensified the color. she is a beautiful brown tortoiseshell color with lots of black.

10 comments:

Rose said...

What would we ever do without our cats to make for lively times! I like what you done with Hopey's face!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hopey looks so innocent..... Bet you were afraid when seeing those skunks ---with Hopey out there.... We have skunks here also---but don't smell them very often... IF we do smell them, it is usually during the night... That smell can wake one up!!!!! Yuk!

Love that first picture.... Funny!!!!!

Our Titmice don't go to the Suet feeders here. They seem to stick with the sunflower seed.

Hope you are having a good day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

The first photo is great. Those feathers all fluffed up and wet make a great shot.

An Arkies Musings

Dorothy said...

I like the first photo of the all wet bird! It's fun to watch them playing in the water. I like to see cats all curled up like that next to the last picture. So relaxed!

Anonymous said...

Very artistic cat image Mary.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary ...Just busted out laughing at the first photo!
I remember the days of skunks and cats!! Trying to get the cat inside at night!!
Must have been a funny sight!!!
I can't put out suet in the summer because it melt and drips. Don't you have that problem!!
Hopey....what a "cutey" how could you punish that poor thing!! ; }

George said...

Your first photo is really something. We found a nearly white skunk on our deck under the bird feeders a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately it left without leaving us with a present.

Becky said...

That first shot is awesome Mary! Cats- they do their own thing on their own time! I've been putting Frosty out in the garage at night because she is bad at night, and now she really loves it out there, and doesn't want to come in in the morning! Do you have any idea of the hiding places in a double car garage?
B.

Becky said...

PS, LOVE your header!
B.

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE that wet goldfinch!!