Everything I saw today seemed to be on yellow flowers....lots of yellow flowers!
Some of you see Fritillaries all the time, but I think this is the first one I've photographed this year. It is a Variegated Fritillary!
Every flower seemed to have both bugs and butterflies :-)
The side view.
Some black bugs.....I do not know bug names.
In the middle of the tall grasses of the meadow, there was a large patch of these yellow flowers....some sort of sunflower. They were attracting lots of things.
One of the tallest ones had this light colored skipper.
A different skipper. I always like those big dark eyes they have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Love the Variegated Frit Mary! Last year I was loaded up with them, not as many this year. Yellow is one of my faves, but I don't care for that batch of 'web worms' there on the bottom!
Hi Mary ..I don't think I have ever seen the sulphur with the dark on the wing tops..pretty!!
I guess yellow is what going on right now anyway with golden rod and ragweed in bloom!!
Eve: I don't usually see Fritillaries and was surprised to find such a nice one.
Grammie G: I think many of them have those dark wing tips, but since they are never open we never see them! In some photos I can see them through the wing if the light is right. I rarely get a photo of an open Sulphur. This was a real small one.
Fantastic butterfly shots Mary.
Hi Mary, This is my 3rd try this morning. I keep getting SERVICE UNAVAILABLE... grrrrrr!!!
Beautiful yellow flowers... I love seeing yellows in Fall.
AND--the butterflies are fabulous especially the Fritillaries. Gorgeous..
Hugs,
Betsy
I really like your butterfly shots and all the yellow flowers!
Looks like you're getting the knack of getting those pesky butterflies to open up for you Mary! (-: Lovely Fritillary. Skippers are difficult and I bet you've got an awful lot more of them on your side of the pond that we have here! I guess all these bugs are making the most of the late pollen while they can!
There's a great deal of yellow here, but the flowers are beautiful and your pictures of the butterflies (and other critters) are wonderful.
Really beautiful images!! Such autumnal colors :)
The Varigated Fritillary is rare in my region, yet I saw one once and got its picture too. You are so fortunate to live in a region that still has so many butterfies. All I see these days are a few cabbage whites and they flit about so much it is difficult to get a good picture of them. I didn't see many butterflies this past summer at all. Just imagine, the summer has gone and now wer're into fall. It is always such a beautiful season as the leaves change colour. Its really just at the beginning stages now.
Ann
Hi Mary. Late summer plus blazing yellow is certainly attracting the species around you. I love to see any of the Frits, such rich colours.
BTW I'm delighted to see you got up close and personal with the Grey Hairstreak ... cracking shots. Sorry to say I don't think any of this species like to show us their upperwings. FAB.
Wonderful group of pictures Mary. We have lots of Fritillarys here.
They are so close in patterns I don't often know which one they are.
Love your header. Great!
B.
I am loving all the yellow flowers out now...love these shots. Somewhere we were at, and I don't remember if it was Indiana or on our trip, there was a field that was just golden with goldenrod. Now, I see a lot of it growing, but I have never seen a field just totally gold with it...not like this was. And i could not stop and take a photo.
Post a Comment