Saturday I stopped by the wetlands just long enough to see if the ducks were still on the pond.

I was thrilled to see this Northern Shoveler and what I think are Blue-winged Teal.

Shovelers are always easy to recognize with that long bill! The Teal, in the middle, is much smaller than the Mallard, which is the one in front with its head down.

Shoveler and teal.

Over on the other pond, the Mallards were swimming around. The males are very green headed now and seemed to be pairing up.
"Which one will she choose?"

Sometimes the males have more of a bluish green head.

Sweethearts :-)

Not fully green yet.......

....but here are three available females!

This one has a harem!

"Hey....share with us!"

I was surprised to see that the black duck (domestic/Mallard mix) that lives on the pond had new feathers and look so much better then the last time I saw it! I love the greenish sheen to them.

The green touches show better here....but where did the head go?
I hope we get a lot of migrants at the wetlands, but if we don't get some rain soon, there might not be any water there for them!
8 comments:
I enjoyed seeing your ducks. We don't have any of those living around here. Maybe I should get some and put them out at the local lake:)
Hi Mary...the first think I noticed when I saw the first picture was that bill,and I can see why it has that name! : } I have never seen one of them or the Black duck!!
Mallards are my all time favorites,nice one of the three available ladies. ; }
Dorothy: There are so many different types of ducks they are always interesting.
Grammie G: The black one is a Mallard/domestic hybrid. Not a wild duck.
Its that time of year now coming on over here where we get to see different ducks Mary.
We're starting to see some migrating birds, so it's that time of the year. I hope you do get some rain soon.
Gorgeous, Mary... I love it when you go to the wetlands and capture some beautiful pictures. Love all of the ducks --but the Mallards are still some of my fav's.
Hugs,
Betsy
Always love seeing ducks Mary.We don't see Shovelers around here except at migration time. I'll be on the watch for Tundra Swans this time of year too.
B.
Oh, that domestic mallard mix is just beautiful!
Post a Comment