Monday, September 13, 2010

I always seem to end up at the wetlands....

With the Colts playing football and a Formula 1 race on TV, I was on my own for walking Sunday. I usually head to the wetlands when I am by myself....fairly close and usually something to see. These photos are actually from both Fri. and Sun. Not many butterfly varieties flitting around, but I did spot a Gray Hairstreak and since I'm still trying to get a good shot of it....or even get lucky and get an open wing shot (fat chance)..... I watched it for a while.
No open wing opportunities, but it did pose with this other bug.

This is at home and is the tiny little Eastern Tailed Blue.

They seem to like the Sedum....as you can see three of them swarming on it along with the bees.

Back at the wetlands....on this walk we saw 4 little tree frogs sitting in the bushes. This was the biggest one...maybe an inch.

The others were really tiny....Mike says about half an inch.

I looked again on Sunday and didn't find any.
On the Friday walk we saw two of the Green Herons....this was my best shot.

Since the geese had taken over the boardwalk, we decided that maybe we would take a different route. They really make a mess!
Saw a little Goldfinch on one of the small trees growing in the meadow area.
It was cool that day, and she was really fluffed out.

Always some turtles. In a few more weeks the duckweed will begin to disappear and everything won't be so green and messy looking. More rain would be nice, too, to bring the water level back up. I keep hoping to see warblers at the wetlands, but no luck so far.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but you always get some good photos there Mary.

Don Wood said...

Hi Mary thanks for sharing your walks with us. I am still in the wheelchair even indoors at the moment and I really enjoy accompanying you as you show us what you have seen.XXX Don

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...They Gray Hairstreak is very pretty although he didn't open !!
The Sedum always seems to be a great attraction to butterflies and bees and makes a great backdrop or photos too...mine has turned to burgundy now!!
Tiny tiny the tree frog is and so cute....nice photos!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well I saw where your man got beat the other day in the tennis match... I had never heard of the two in the finals.... Wish our Americans could get competitive again.

Your wetlands pictures are great... Love the butterflies --especially the Eastern Tailed Blue.

Love the turtles and birds also.

Have a great Monday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Excellent pictures.Even though the Hairstreak did not open it's wings,the pictures are fantastic.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Roy: I need you here to work your magic and make that Hairstreak open up!

Don: I'm sorry you can't get out right now. That must be very difficult on you in nice weather.

Grammie G: I'm always amazed at how many critters like the sedum. Mine only turns a purple shade.

Betsy: I was sad to see Federer lose, but Nadal is #1 in the world and Djokovic is #3 so it should be a great final when they get around to playing it. Several of the Americans did very well and are young, so our chances are getting better.

Ruth: I'll keep trying! Some butterflies just like to sit closed all the time...sigh.

Don Wood said...

Hi Mary Thanks for dropping bye. I truly love your posts and having the computer makes up for not getting out. Love too all.XXX Don

George said...

I always enjoy it when you take us along on your visits to the wetlands.

Eve said...

I think you fit very nicely in the wetlands Mary! You always get the best photos and critters!!!

Mary said...

Don: I do hope you are feeling better.

George:We are fortunate to have the wetlands and that the city protects it.

Eve: It's a wonderful place even when I don't see anything really startling.

Rose said...

I seen two of the little tree frogs on our garage again last night...one I can really tell has grown. Still, it is not very big.