Since my one gourd birdhouse this year was such a success.....first a chickadee family and then a wren family....I wanted to try growing some of the gourds and make more for next year.
Mike planted a few seeds behind the garage and here is the vine the way it looks now. Could stand to have the grass cut under it, I'd say!
I'm concerned about what looks like some sort of blossom end rot. Won't get any gourds that way.
However, here is one little one beginning.....
....and one larger one! At least one new birdhouse on the way!
"Is that for me????"
Wonder if they work for Titmice?
If I don't manage to grow any gourds, I will just have to go out and buy some more! I would like to try painting some to look a bit more attractive than the one that I had up this year. If I paint birds on them, will it scare the birds away rather than attract them?? What do you think?
13 comments:
This is a wonderful idea Mary. You are so clever!! I think I should try it too. :)
I had the same problem with my gourds the year I grew mine. A lot of blossom end rot. I ended up with about 4 nice gourds tho. A good start. I'll probaby try it again here in Alabama next year.
Grow your own birdhouses! I like it. When I was a kid my Grandpa like to grow ornamental gourds. They would be prolific while the rest of the garden wasn't doing well.
An Arkies Musings
Keep us posted on haow this venture turns out.Good luck,the birds are waiting.
Blessings,Ruth
I love that idea Mary but didn't plant any either. Guess I'll have to find some .Getting some seeds will be on my to do list for next planting season.
It was a busy 3 days, and I got behind.
Hope you're enjoying the Tennis, but if you ar a big fan I'm sure you are.
B.
Oh...how cool. I am growing gourds and pumpkins and squash, but didn't even think about growing birdhouses. Next year I'll have to look for those types of seeds. This year I didn't even plant any of my gourds. They are all volunteers from rotted gourds I threw in the garden for the winter...
I wonder if I could grow gourds over here? We can grow marrows and cucumbers and things like that! I'll have to find out. Maybe a mix of painted and natural would be nice.
Oh I love the way that little Chickadee is hanging onto that limb... CUTE!!!!
I hope your vine produces lots of gourds for you. Obviously your birds love them.... Keep us posted.
Hugs,
Betsy
I am growing gourds, also. A different kind to this. If all the blooms had got pollinated I would have had tons of gourds. As it is, I think I may have a dozen.
I just hope mine dry...I too would like to paint one or two.
I am hoping the wrens come back...one more I got up and realized that the whole family was gone. I so hope they come back. The ones we had at home stayed there all year long, so I don't know what to think of these.
Ok Mary how do you make bird houses out of Gourds???? I didn't even know you could do that!! I love learning something new :) Excellent
That little green growing birdhouse on the vine is sooo cute! (The larger small one, I mean.) Love the prospective tenants too!
Growing birdhouses is such an amazing idea! Reminds me of a fantastic book where inhabitants of some planet grew their houses out of tree seeds.
And it must be so cute to have birds living in gourds with birds painted on them.
I hope I answered all the questions here with my second post. I'm looking forward to having some gourds to paint as well as make birdhouses....if the flowers don't all rot.
Post a Comment