Saturday, September 26, 2009

Butterflies at Blue Grass.....

I'm running out of Blue Grass photos, but it has been raining all week. As we drove the roads, Mike spotted a turtle in the road, so I hopped out to take a photo and move it to the edge of the road. He wasn't very big, but he sure has long toenails.
Also in the road, was the first butterfly I saw that day. This Red-Spotted Purple Admiral didn't look very healthy, but I picked it up and moved it to the rocks at the side of the road so it wouldn't get run over.

Near the lake with the lotus pads of yesterday, I walked through a little bunch of small blue butterflies....Eastern-long Tailed Blue I think. If you look real closely, you will see two here. They were dancing together most of the time.
Here is a close-up of one.

Sulphurs were everywhere. Here are 4 along the edge of one lake. I guess these are male and female.....maybe Clouded Sulphurs?
When they hide in the grass they can be hard to see. I didn't see the Eastern Pondhawk Dragonfly on the right when I took the shot.

Here is the Pondhawk out in the open.
I thought I was seeing Monarch's flying around the same lake where the Sulphurs were, but thanks to Rose's blog this past week, I realized this was a Viceroy instead of a Monarch! A bit torn up, but the extra black line on the bottom wings is still visible.

10 comments:

Dorothy said...

Great shots, Mary! Most of the butterflies are looking a little tattered by fall.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A nice selection today Mary. Maybe with the bit of rain we had our insects will start to come out now too.

Becky said...

I really like the little blue ones, but they are so hard to photograph. Good shot of the Viceroy too. I don't know if I've seen one.
It's cloudy and rain on the way.
B.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like how you take time to help these little creatures.Your pictures always fascinate me.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I can't stand to pass a turtle on the road and not "rescue" it....hope it was really heading where I put it! Besides if I'm going to hop out and take a photo, I may as well try some rescue. I fear the black butterfly was beyond rescue, but it wasn't dead. Probably got stunned by a car windshield...or just old.

George said...

You did a great job of getting pictures in spite of the rain. Thanks for rescuing the critters on the road. Too many people don't.

Eve said...

It's a great time for butterflies Mary! Great fun. Love the blues!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great shots Mary... Glad you moved the turtle and butterfly out of the road. Hope the butterfly was okay...

All of your butterflies and the dragonfly are gorgeous. You got some great pictures.

It rained here ALL day long ---2 more inches. BUT--it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. YEAH!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Kathy W said...

Mary you have really good eyesight to see those tiny butterflies. I would never have seen them. I have been seeing Monarchs though all over the place.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: You see so many butterflies, that is great.