Thursday, September 10, 2009

Stopping to smell the flowers......

I guess with all the tennis I am watching right now, I'm not doing much to "stop and smell the flowers". These late night matches that last until 11PM are really getting to be a drag, even though they are exciting to watch! Only a few more days and they will be done. Live-for-Ever......one of the flowers that I associate with my childhood. We had a row of them along the fence and I always thought they had a beautiful color. I thought maybe "Live-for-ever" was a made up name, but I Googled it and it is one of the names given to these Sedum plants. If you break one off accidentally, you can stick it in a pot or in the ground and it will start growing. They are easy to spread and do seem to "live forever".
Hopey and Ozma......sisters on guard to keep the birds away.....took a look at the flowers, too.

Hopey even tried a sniff, but I don't think she was impressed. These flowers are often covered with little butterflies and bees.
Ozma giving them her best queenly stare.....too haughty to be caught sniffing them.

I guess bees are always "smelling the flowers". These Obedience plants are so beat down from a storm we had a couple nights ago, that I couldn't find any to get a good photo of what they look like.
The vine tree has lots of bee "sniffers" right now.
The downy prefers to smell the suet rather than the flowers, which just get in the way.
A Goldfinch sitting among a bounty of seeds with that bewildered look that says "I'm young....I found the seeds...what do I do now???"
House Finch perching on the vine.

One of those little gold and pink moths that I don't know the name of. They are really tiny.

My front yard is growing a bumper crop of mushrooms under the big trees since the last storm.
These were fresh white ones that I spotted this morning.
Well, I guess if I want to "smell the flowers" I'd better go somewhere other than my own yard. Today is the day the arboretum is open to the public, so I'll head there later and get away from the TV for awhile.

15 comments:

Kathy W said...

Mary what wonderful shots. I love the ones with your cats in them. I have been taking the time lately to smell flowers (I recently stopped smoking) and let me tell you it makes you feel good. Flowers have the perfect smell to them.

Mary said...

Kathy: Good for you! Smoking can be a hard habit to break, so I'm rooting for you to succeed. Flowers do smell lovely most of the time and maybe I'd better break my current tennis addiction and get out to smell a few of them.

Jenny said...

I'm glad you've remembered to get a breath of fresh and fragrant air Mary. It's sometimes way too easy to get immersed in something on the telly I know! (-: Those sedums are great as they flower late in the season and the bugs are grateful for them. We have them over here too. I need to get some somewhere in my garden!

CountryDreaming said...

Especially love your first gorgeous photo of the "Live-for-ever" flowers! Excellent composition and artistry with a soft radiant touch.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Mary, another lovely series of photographs. The ones of your kitty are adorable but I love all of them really, beautiful nature shots as always.

Jenn Jilks said...

Beautiful shots of all! I have cats who eat grasshoppers. Yum!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I sure am glad you are taking some time to enjoy the flowers.I like those purple ones,such a soft color.
Blessings,Ruth

Creative Cards said...

Oh Mary thank you for your wonderful story...it's exactly what I needed to read after a long day of work. I loved the part with your cats..so lovely cats aren't they, they seem to know when you need them before you even realize it. At least that's what my cats do :)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Those Live-for-ever's are lovely Mary. I wonder what the cats are thinking when they sit and stare at the flowers like that? :) Do they have thoughts as we do?

Rose said...

I like your cats...do they like for you to go outside with them? We are convinced that ours like for us to come outside and watch them play.

I am not getting much done besides watching Lorelei. She has a cold this week and doesn't like me out of her sight. Well, if her mom is here, it is okay then.

Becky said...

Your cats look like they couldn't be bothered. So cute.
Love the flowers as usual, a great post Mary.
I forgot to mention how much I liked your header with the turtle and the goose. The one today is beautiful ! !
B.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Your Downy picture is great. That cute little finch looks so confused... TOO cute!!!! We have House Finches --but not many of the males. Wonder why????

I love my Autumn Joy Sedum... Dad Adams is going to give me some more to plant along the side of the house late in the fall. I love the way the flowers get darker as we go through the fall...

How's the tennis going for the USA? I haven't heard today.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

Thanks for letting us stop and smell the flowers in your yard. We're going to have to see if we can get some starts from our sedum.

Lindy said...

I like the Live-for-Ever plant. I will have to see if I can find one for our garden. I have a weakness for purple flowers!

It's fun to see your cats checking out the flowers. They are so pretty!

I need to get out and not only smell my flowers but get the weeds out of their beds! All this rain has given us a bumper crop.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Your photos are so neat.