I think these photos give a good idea of how popular these flowers are with the skippers, butterflies and bees.....more than you ever wanted to see! I saw most of these at the arboretum on their sedum and a few on mine at home.

This first photo is to show how covered they get with the various "bugs".

Buckeye Butterfly

Skipper in "jet fighter plane position"

Surrounded on all sides!

Painted Lady tip-toeing across the pink flowers.

I love how the flowers look close-up. A touch of green in this one to go with the pink.

Pearl Crescent

Bees love these


The color looks a bit more purple here with this little tan skipper.

A dark skipper....I don't know the name of any of these skippers.

Lost in a sea of pink

A pair of wasps....hard to tell what they are, but I have a side view as well.

These flowers are pretty when they are still turning pink.
The Live-for-Ever is the star of the show.
I really did see other flowers and critters, too and will save them for a separate post.
Did I make you sick of pink?????
14 comments:
Not my favourite colour, I have to admit, but it does attract the insects!
Very smart pearl crescent - nice one!
These are beautiful photos Mary with a lovely soft background colour as well for all the subjects.
Oh WOW Mary!! These are lovely. I can see why it is such a popular bush with the insects. Great shots.
Oh Wow!These are so beautiful.The 'Jet Fighter'Skipper made me smile,I had never thought of them in this way,but it sure suits.The pink flowers among the gentle green is just gorgeous.Thanks for sharing these and thanks for the comments on my blog.
Blessings,Ruth
Mary: Your pink Sedum is wonderful. Mine is more of a purple and I haven't seen one butterfly on it yet.
lucky you! We have very few butterflies and bees recently but the pink sedum we have abd I shall have to follow your lead and check ours out carefully.
Ann
Kingsdowner: Pink isn't my favorite either and these flowers are really more purplish. But the skippers and bees love them.
Roy: Thanks! I think these flowers look so neat up-close with all the little dark stamens sticking up.
Joan: they get so many bees on them, it's hard to get close at times.
Ruth: I read that description somewhere and it was so apt for the way they sit with 2 wings up and 2 out.
Tom: I think it helps if you have other butterfly flowers nearby. The ones at the arboretum had more skippers and such than my ones at home.
Ann: I'm sure you'll find some little critters flitting around on them.
...that third photo in is a real beauty--the soft fluffy pink with the butterfly. I love all the photos, but that's my fav.
No Mary, I could never get sick of pink--or any other flower. Pink is never my first choice of colors--but hey, those flowers are gorgeous and loved by so many critters..
Great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy
Mary I am tickled pink by the jet fighter My Wife and her sister liked em as well , they just gone out on our youngest daughters hen night I am staying in with two Pizza's n beer
Gosh, these are spectacular shots! I really like the first one, how fuzzy and soft the flowers look. I wonder if they tickle the bugs? LOL!
You can't have too much pink!
An Arkies Musings
I enjoyed all the pinkness! Pretty photos and nice visitors!
I love Sedum. I planted several this summer, BUT no butterflies came to visit.
B.
Post a Comment