Saturday, September 12, 2009

Taking a bird break to watch and observe....

( My posts are getting mixed up in order. I wanted to post that hornet attack below and have other stuff from that trip as well as more from the arboretum visit.....but also have my home birds getting active. The rain break in tennis has given me some time to take photos.)
Every day, I spend some time standing by the front door watching the birds that come to my tree outside. This relaxes me and I forget about other things for awhile. "Is this my mother?"
"I don't think this bird is going to feed me...."

"...here is my mother!"
"I'm thirsty, but I get the strangest feeling someone is watching me"
"That water looks so good"
"I'm going to ignore that frog and drink anyway."

I caught a few minutes of hummingbird activity.
Checking it out and zeroing in
I don't usually catch the tail flash.....must be an intruder around.

Guarding from above.
The downys have began to show up every day looking for suet.
They are there year round, but recently I hadn't seen much of them.
"You looking at me?" His feathers are so clean and pristine white looking right now. Is this one of the youngsters born back in May? Maybe.
" Good stuff.....keep this suet feeder filled! That's an order!"
Even if I don't have time to go somewhere, I can always count on my home birds to come around and give me a few minutes of peace and relaxation as I smile at their antics.

16 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I wonder why he is not having much luck talking to that other bird. :)

Dorothy said...

That's a cute red bird in the first couple of photos. Love the little water fountain...bet your birds enjoy it, too!

Mary said...

Joan: It was funny seeing him sit there and flutter. I think he knew where mom was, but it made a cute photo.

Dorothy: That red bird is a hanger that a feeder is suspended from. My son gave it to me one year for my birthday. Mike made the fountain for me from a decorative ball we found at Lowe's one year. I liked the frogs on it and it works very nicely as a fountain.

Kelly said...

Ahhhhh...some very cute photos. I love the photo of the mama feeding the baby and the goldfinch by the water fountain. The hummers are great too!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wish we could 'know' what birds are thinking when looking at things like fake birds and frogs... Or---even when they look at US... Wouldn't it be neat to know????

Love your photos. I heard about all of the rain at the Tennis matches. How will they ever get them all done???

My Downy's are also such a beautiful WHITE and black now... Compared to the dingy Red-bellied--they are much prettier. I wondered if some of my Downy's could be juvies also.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Kelly: Thanks! All of these home birds give me such a welcome break when I watch them.

Betsy: I often wonder what birds think....probably "where is my next meal coming from" and "are there in hawks hanging around?" LOL! As of now the tennis final has been moved to Monday. They left off in the middle on the Nadal match, so they have to get that finished.....today if the weather cooperates. They need to get at least one covered arena for this tournament.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh,this is so much morre peaceful than that hornet attack.I like the tail flash of the Hummer.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

These are all great pictures. I especially like the pictures of the bird 'talking' to the bird ornament. You got some wonderful pictures of the hummingbird.

Don Wood said...

My home birds have just started to return from there summer breaks Heather saw a blue tit today I have been online all day so not looked

Jenny said...

Lovely home post Mary. I love that photo where the hummer has it's feet dangling and that Downy does look nice a fresh looking.

Rose said...

I have had this page open since morning and just now getting to read the captions below the birds. You sure do have a lot of activity. I didn't feed the birds this summer...but will start up again when the cats stay inside more. All of my cats are hunters, with Cougar being the least accomplished. I love my cats, but sure wish they weren't such hunters.

Mary said...

Ruth: I prefer this, too. My birds are always a joy to watch.

George: Thanks...it was one of those weird coincidences. The bird probably didn't even notice the fake bird, but it made a funny photo.

Don: Well, get some photos! I like seeing the British birds.

Jenny: I thought the feet were funny, too and in one shot there was a little feather hanging from one foot. I thought I had used that one, but must have changed my mind.

Rose: I feed less in the summer, but the birds come looking, so I keep some out there. My cats are mostly lazy watchers. They think they would like to catch a bird, but know they aren't going to succeed. They occasionally killed one when they were younger, but not often.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Those are beautiful captures throughout the post. I love your hummers.

Becky said...

Yes, the home birds never let you down. They are always there. I am over run with Sparrows now, and my hummers have left I think.
B.

Lindy said...

Beautiful shots! What a lovely waterer. Never saw one like that before. Your place must be a slice of heaven.
:)

Eve said...

These are great Mary. It's great to have all the fun at home too! I love the baby water shots!!