Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pink and Purple.....

(NOTE: I didn't intend to post two posts in the same day. This post was suppose to be for Thursday and I set the date wrong. So I'm not posting anything new until tomorrow!)
We have some new butterflies in today's offerings.....ones who like the purple and pink flowers :-)Silver-Spotted Skipper (we like to call it the "white elephant skipper" due to the shape of its mark)
Again on these delicate pink flowers. I like this shot with a bit more green to break up the color!

One of the best Cabbage White photos I've ever gotten. I have this on my desktop at the moment.


"Cleared for take-off!"
Love those little Skippers in the "jet fighter position".

A light colored Skipper
A beautiful Black Swallowtail on the zinnia

Ah....open wide!

Skipper and Grey Hairstreak. I chased that Hairstreak all over the place trying to get good photos because it is a new butterfly for me this year. I actually got it to open up and took two photos....both out of focus :-(

Two of the tawny colored Skippers.

"Butter Gone"
My salute to all the missed butterfly photos where they take off just about the time you click :-)

I don't know what these flowers are, but they sure made a pretty backdrop for the Black Swallowtail!

My little Grey Hairstreak and Skipper again.

Sulphur looking very pale.
This is the last of my butterflies from Hartman Arboretum, but tomorrow I have some butterflies that like trees rather than flowers and two of them are new to me!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of lovely photos here Mary. The Swallowtail is brilliant.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

They do seem to like the Zinnia's too. That IS a wonderful shot of the Cabbage White Mary. Here I find one of the best plast which attract them in gardens is the Lavender.

Mary said...

This was suppose to be tomorrow's post....oh, well. Apparently I set the date wrong! Since it already has comments, I guess you get a double post for today!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mildred, I love pinks and purples too--in addition to yellows... Great pictures. I especially like the Black Swallowtail on that bright colored Zinnia... Great picture.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

More beauty.I can relate to that 'tail end' shot.I get many of those,and often with birds as well.
Blessings,Ruth

Jenny said...

Another great buterfly post Mary, you have such great ones over there! I got inspired by your colour grouping as you'll see on my blog! (-:

George said...

Thanks for more beautiful pictures of butterflies. I like the butterfly in 'jet fighter position'.

Caroline Gill said...

Yes, I think the Black Swallowtail gets my supreme vote ... but a close shave (and each pic. has a beauty of its own).

Thank you, Mary. Just off now to see Jenny's colo(u)rs, too...

Eve said...

I love "Butter Gone"!!! Happens to me all the time but it make for a really fun photo! Lovely shots Mary. Also that jet fighter is SO cute!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...The Black Swallowtail on the zinna is a real beauty!!
I still don't know what the butterfly I posted last is!!

Mary said...

I've been gone all day, so I will just say one big "thank you"! This post was suppose to have been on Thursday, so I am letting it stand another day.

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

I really admire you with your skills of photography at such an age! Hats off to you :)

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

And oh yes, I just noted that I was not following your beautiful blog! I'm your new fan from today :)

Katney said...

Youa re very patient. I would get the flowers, but the butterflies would take off.

Becky said...

Ok Mary, you are officially known as the Butterfly Lady!I LOVE these pictures. Awesome!
B.

Philip said...

Great Shots Mary if you look at the clear for take off shot it does look like a jet fighter I wonder who copied who :))