I know I just posted hummingbirds last week, but I only get to see them for a couple months each year. This is the prime time right now for me to spot them at the feeder and sitting in the tree.
This is the Ruby-Throated male even though the throat looks black in the photo. The Ruby-Throated Hummingbird is the only one that I see in my area, but it shows up very regularly for the summer months.
I seldom seem to be in the right place to have the throat catch the sun and look red.
Another one......maybe a younger male? I'm not sure. I thought it was a female, but it appears to have some color at the throat. It was catching the morning light on its head, but not on the throat. (Click any photo to see it larger)
Lifting away from the feeder it flares its tail.....maybe it saw another one to chase away. They are very territorial.
Suspended
Look at those little feet hanging down!
I like to see them perch in the tree. They can be quite fun to watch when they start preening their feathers.
A little different angle.....wish I could get rid of those distracting vines!
Just to fill up the post, I will put ina couple shots of this dragonfly.
Over in my other blog.... http://thisthatotherthing-mary.blogspot.com/ I've posted some of the hats worn at the Kentucky Derby for the yearly contest.
11 comments:
Fantastic hummingbird shots Mary something I have never had the chance to do :(
Brilliant photos Mary, glad you posted them.
Wonderful shot of the hummers! They are so hard to photograph! I like the Blue Dasher, too!
Philip: You will have to take a trip to where they are...I know you would get wonderful photos! hummers are so fascinating. Our southwest has a lot more than what I get to see.
Roy: Thanks! I hate posting the same things all the time...but can only post what I'm seeing.
Dorothy: Thanks! Sometimes they hold still long enough to get something good. Having the feeder real close to the window helps.
We have them here now too, Mary, and so far, I have not gotten a good picture.... I need to try harder!!!!
You got some great photos... I love the Ruby-throated hummingbirds. We've got a 'bully' who chases the others away from the feeder (even though i have THREE feeders out)... ha
Hugs,
Betsy
Great photos.I so miss my Hummingbirds this year.We have not had one on the yard,yet.The Dragonfly pictures are excellent.
Blessings,Ruth
Betsy: If you can move the feeders further away from each other...even around to a different side of the house, it might help.
Ruth:Thanks! Mine seemed to be late coming around this year.
I love shots of Hummingbirds Mary. What a wonderful post. I love to watch them sitting too. I can't imagine their long trip every Fall.
B.
You have captured these so well Mary. It is never easy to get them in flight like that.
Mary, that is a terrific shot of the Buckeye....love the others as well. I have never seen the Checkerspot that I can remember. (But that isn't saying much.)
You have a treasuretrove of photos in this post...I would have made them last for days!
I love all those hummingbirds!!
Post a Comment