Monday, August 16, 2010

Killdeer and Kingbirds.....

After church we often drive through Mouteau Park to look for Meadowlarks, Killdeer, or Kingbirds.....or anything else of interest :-)We were surprised on this visit to see about 12 Killdeer on one of the soccer fields. This one appears to be an adult.......
.....but I think these two might be part of this year's crop of juveniles. They seemed lighter in color on the back and the lower chest band is less developed. The nest we were watching earlier this summer was at this park and I was never able to know for sure if they hatched, so I hope this is them!

They were all hunting in the grass. I don't usually see so many together.


This shot makes the eye area look very strange! It looks like it doesn't have eyes at all because of the white area and the eye placement on the sides.

A couple of Kingbirds also seemed to be watching the Killdeer.....or hunting for insects, more likely :-)
It turned its back on me to watch the field. They like to sit on the soccer goals and launch themselves from there after bugs.
That is all I've got until I get out somewhere....hopefully tomorrow!

13 comments:

Philip said...

Those killdears are similar to our plovers but our plovers dont have those beautiful chestbands nice shots Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up, your always lucky with Killdeer Mary.

Eve said...

I love both these birds Mary!

Dorothy said...

Love those Killdeers! They are so cute! I never notice Kingbirds here. Have a great week!

Mary said...

Philip: They are a type of plover and the 2 black stripes are unique to them and the easiest way to recognize them...other than their "Killdeer" cry.

Roy: Welcome back!

Eve: I do too! Of course I love most birds, so its hard to choose.

Dorothy: I think they are cute, too. The kingbirds often perch on overhead wires to launch themselves at the bugs.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful pictures of the Kildeer and Kingbirds, Mary... I haven't seen either in 'real' life... Maybe someday I will.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Betsy: Killdeer like gravel parking lots or other gravel areas.

Arija said...

Love the stripy fronts of the juvenile Killdeer. Nice catches.

Jenny said...

There must've been lots of insects and bug in that grass I think Mary. Nice to see so many in one place! (-: Have you photographed Eastern Kingbirds before? I don't recall.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I do think that some of these may be young of this year.The feeding must be good in this area.
Blessings,Ruth

George said...

I agree that the pair of killdeer in your second picture are juveniles. Hopefully they are from the nest you knew was in the park. I'm glad you stopped by there after church and got these pictures to share with us.

Rose said...

the one where the killdeer is looking straight at the camera...he looks like he has been somewhere with a mask on and gotten dirty/tanned or something then taken the mask off....

Katney said...

I don't often have luck photographing kildeer, either. I think because when I see them I an mear the nest and they keep trying to lead me awy.