Thursday, August 12, 2010

A walk in the wetlands part 4.....

Back to butterflies and bees.... The large Sulphurs really like these Morning Glories. They try to get deep inside, but are too big. The bees do a much better job :-)
This one lifted off while I was shooting.....closest I came to an open wing shot.

Finally.....a Painted Lady! I've only seen a couple this year and this was the first one to hold still.

The Elderberries are really ripe....anyone out there make Elderberry wine? Does anyone know a bird that likes Elderberries? I've never seen any birds eating them, so I'm curious.
A Tiger Swallowtail.

I think this is something new for me......maybe a Black Swallowtail? It does not have the orange spots that most of the swallowtails have, but it was somewhat torn up, making it hard to tell.

Here it is with the Spicebush Swallowtail...on top....and it below. It is smaller, too.

In the woods this Red-Spotted Purple Admiral was sort of hiding from me.

And a big fat bee behind. The bees were really busy and plentiful.
The big Carpenter bee and the small Green Sweat Bees....I think. Look how full the pollen sacs are on the sweat bees!
"This is MY thistle...get your own!"

I'm just amazed at how much pollen they can carry and still fly.
They are certainly colorful.

12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am surprised the birds do not eat the elderberries Mary? I also wonder why not so let me know if you find out.

Those Green Sweat Bees are something I have never seen before. Thanks for the pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I don't know about elderberries---but I'd be surprised if some of the birds didn't eat them.. Maybe the waxwings would eat them....????

Great pictures of the butterflies... Love that Painted Lady... The name is appropriate for her.

And you captured some great pictures of the bees also.

Looks like you had a great trip to the wetlands.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

More gorgeous Butterflies. So far all I've seen are Monarchs( I'm so glad for these anyway) and a couple Tiger Swallowtails.
I need to plant more flowers!
B.

grammie g said...

Rather calm after yesterdays post!!! ; }
What is it ...do you live in the butterfly belt or something!!
I don't know why I do not see that many spieces!!
When Renee was young she had a butterfly collection and there was always many different ones!!
Well enough of poor me...your photos are beautiful...God has given such great beauty to us to enjoy !!

Mary said...

Joan: I figure something must eat them....I just never have seen any eating them

Betsy: Waxwings seem likely...or even Robins. I'll have to try to watch some and see if any birds show an interest.

Becky: This has been a very big year for butterflies here for some reason. Maybe they like this hot weather that I hate!

Grammie G.: Don't know about a butterfly belt, but it might be possible that they follow the river...the Ohio... when headed south and that would put me in the right place. I know the Monarchs travel through this area on the way south.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a fascinating stroll through your world.The insects are very busy.
Blessings,Ruth

Eve said...

Great bee shots Mary! Love the zoomy one!! I think that is a male Black Swallowtail you got there. Love the really hungry Sulphur!! hahaha!

George said...

I don't know which I like better -- your butterflies or your bees. All of these pictures are wonderful.

Philip said...

Mary some beautiful shots of different butterflies that painted lady sure is colourful but for me my favorite is the first shot were the butterfly looks stuck :))

Rose said...

Wonderful photos...I, too, am always amazed at how much pollen some of the bees carry.

I think I seen a Question Mark butterfly yesterday...it lit on the garage but just for a second and was off. Keep you fingers crossed that I see it again.

I have seen several buckeyes here at the house...and quite a few swallowtails but they never land long enough to snatch a photo.

Don Wood said...

Lat year the UK was over run with Painted Ladys.

Anonymous said...

Just brilliant shots Mary.