I had every intention of posting 3 days worth of butterflies and flowers from Hartman Arboretum, that were taken Thursday, but then yesterday I made a stop at the wetlands on my way to a quilting bee and saw things I want to post first. (I should be saving this abundance of photos for when the US Tennis Open starts and I'm too busy watching to take photos!)

On the way across town, I saw this yard full of geese and had to stop for a few close-ups!

Something good in that grass

Staying alert
When I was about to pass the wetlands, I spotted a heron in the water and stopped for a photo. Good thing I did, because I also heard and spotted a hawk in a tree along the water's edge.

I kept hearing this very loud noisy bird and couldn't find it at first.

Bruce tells me it is a Red-Shouldered adult. It had been raining and it was very wet. The head looks "odd" to me.

Then another one joined it on the limb!

Their heads look so light in color (I've been told they are molting) and they were very spotty on the backs.

I went back later in the day with Mike hoping to find them in the same area, but couldn't find them.

This is actually taken on the way back to the car after walking around some, but I liked this view of the walk and little cypress trees.

The Heron was there at 9:30AM when I first went by and still there when I dragged Mike back to look for the hawks around 5:00PM. It must have been having a nice day and hadn't been disturbed by anyone. They often will stand there and not fly away when I creep along the boardwalk with my camera. I guess they have gotten used to people.

I can't resist taking too many shots when they want to pose so nicely.


This end of one boardwalk had a lot of long grass hanging over it, soaked from the rain.

Lots of colors and textures right now.

I always like this bush for some reason.

A couple of Wood Ducks cruising until I approached with my camera.
More tomorrow....got to make these photos last!
13 comments:
Mary, you did it again!! You captured SO MANY pretty and interesting pictures. I like that walkway over the water, and of course, all your bird pictures!
Happy Sunday!
You sure have been getting out and about -- and getting some mighty fine pictures!
Mary, your photos are great in both numbers and quality and they're fun to see too!
I have never seen such birds here except the geese of course ... and the bush sure has some attraction power for I liked it from the 1st sight too for no obvious reason.
WOW! Each picture has beauty written all over it.The boardwalk is inviting and oh my,that little bush standing alone in the water.How pretty is that!
Blessings,Ruth
Wow Mary.... No matter where you go, you always get the BEST pictures.... Thanks so much for sharing them with us... The heron standing in front of those reeds is a great picture. The reeds/grass make for a nice background...
Hugs,
Betsy
i envy you your wonderful shots of the hawks. i do well to get one and you got two. and that blue heron, my goodness. thanks for sharing all these great photos. look forward to seeing more. have a great day.
I think it's wonderful that you were able to get a picture of a pair of hawks. I know how hard it is to get a single hawk, so I'm doubly impressed.
How wonderful to see such sights! great photos!
You hit the jackpot again! I very seldom get a decent shot of a heron...all the ones around here are so wild...they fly at nothing.
For some reason I always like the end of the season when the weeds / bushes are full like that and they have their seeds. It makes them most interesting. A lovely series Mary.
Great shots again Mary do you know the full name of those Hawks ? they look stunning :)
Thank you everyone!
Philip: The hawks are Red-Shouldered Hawks. They are noted for being "vocal" and these two were crying very loudly that morning.
I love your wetland walks Mary and the Red-shouldered Hawks are great!
Post a Comment