Saturday, August 21, 2010

Odds and ends from Henderson....

We drove up and down 2-3 different gravel roads in the slough area (also known as the river bottoms) Later in the year these roads will be gated closed and become a refuge for the migrating water fowl. It's a mixed area....meadows, small wet areas, larger wet areas, fields that have been planted, part private, part conservation area, etc. This spot in one field usually has water in it during the spring, fall and winter (and shore birds and water fowl), and is surrounded by planted fields. It was dry right now due to our extreme heat and lack of rain. The "water plants" look like aliens sticking up in the dryness. This Killdeer was roaming around, so maybe there was still some dampness. There must be one wet area still...we spooked a heron into flight further back in the field.
Along the gravel roads are areas of trees and vegetation. Butterflies were very busy in and out of these and hard to photograph without lots of distractions. A Black Swallowtail.....I've been seeing this a lot the last week or two. Migration?

This was a nice little surprise area....the road ended there! Nice view and I would like to have had a chair and just sit there for awhile enjoying it. We spooked another heron....we're good at that....as we drove up!

There were some yellow lily buds, but not very photogenic, so I just enjoyed the leaves.

An Eastern Tailed Blue along the rocks.

A couple of Pearl Crescents on a leaf.

A big swampy area....we never see much there, but I'm sure the geese and ducks will be there later in the year.
One gravel road had Monarch butterflies flitting in and out of the vegetation along the side. We saw dozens of them....often spiraling together in pairs. They all looked really new and perfect like this one. I wonder if they are recently hatched. Certainly not tattered like so many butterflies I am seeing.

I have trouble catching them open. They like to sit closed most of the time.

Something is sure chewing up the leaves :-)

At one stop, Mike said, "Give me the camera". This very large fly was on his (dirty) window and he wanted to try to photograph it. Interesting eye and details! I really must wash the car windows :-)

When I shot this photo of the Trumpet flowers and pods, I didn't even notice the little butterfly on it. Not sure what kind it is.

I just liked the white flowers against the water.
Anyone know what these are? Nice white berries of some sort.
This water area is pretty constant, but usually much larger. A lot of it is dry right now. A farmer has planted several rows of corn between it and the road, so I had to get out of the car and sneak around the end of the corn to get this heron shot. He immediately saw me and flew away. Some sort of blackbird behind him.....

Not a great photo, but in the foreground there are some sort of sandpipers, then the heron in the water, a killdeer on the other shore and the blackbird in the field...what a combination!

I found a white moth! I'm always seeing photos of these in other blogs, but this was the first one I found. I love their fuzzy heads! I actually picked the piece of grass it is on and am holding it with one hand while trying to take the photo with the other. It showed no inclination to move, which was very nice of it :-)

A Question Mark......I used this photo to show the comma and dot making up the mark. This was on the "butterfly road" where we saw all the butterflies in the ditch.

From this side it is much prettier, but I seldom get very close to one. The mark to look for here is the dot with a dash over it near the top of the wing. This is what makes it different from an Eastern Comma. (according to Kaufman Field Guide to Butterflies of North America
These "flies"? were swarming all over our windows and mirrors as we were leaving this road. We were afraid we were taking them home with us, but Mike finally did some starting and stopping that made them go away!
OK...that's all of Henderson! I love going down there, but it is too far to go every day :-(

15 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

What a wonderful expedition, Mary. Those Monarchs are magnificent. We have had a lot of Commas this year.

Caroline Gill said...

P.S. Interested, also, to read about the Killdeer (strange name!). They must be related to our Ringed Plovers, I guess...

Carol said...

Nice series of photo from Henderson. It's good the place will become a wildlife refuge, more are needed.Love the photo with all the lily pads on the water.

Anonymous said...

Your getting to see lots of nice butterflies Mary.

Dorothy said...

Another very productive trip, Mary! You have some good shots of the wildlife there! I never am sure about those Comma and Question Mark Butterflies and I don't see many of them here. Have a great weekend!

Mary said...

Caroline: I think that it has been a bumper crop for all the butterflies this year. The Killdeer is a type of Plover. His two neck rings make him distinct.

Carol: It is a really nice conservaton area in the winter months and there will be 1000's of migrating geese and ducks which I can't wait to photograph each year!

Roy: Thanks...they have been plentiful and I have a lot more photos the next few days. I'm seeing more butterflies than birds of interest right now.

Mary said...

Dorothy: This is all from that one visit. Your comment came in as mine went out! Thanks! I've never seen the plain Comma....I just seem to see the Question Mark and not very often.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary....the shrub with the white berries is a Red Osier Dogwood..favories wetland and the berries are a favorited by Robins ...(do I win a prize or something) ; } You know of course I did look that up on the web!!!
I am trying to deviate from saying anything about those butterflies I am "jealous" of..yes I know thats not very christian like!! : }
They are very nice picture Mary!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Looks like you all got some great pictures in Henderson.. Such variety... Do you have to wear bug spray when you are out there???? The skeeters would eat me alive.... ha

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I too love this place from the pictures you show.The swampy area is beautiful,even without any birds.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Grammie G: Thanks for the ID on the berries! I thought the leaves looked like dogwood leaves, but my dogwoods certainly don't have berries like that. I thought they were pretty :-) Sorry...no prize was being offered, but if you send me your snail-mail address, I will send you one of my quilted mug mats, just because I want to :-)

Betsy: I don't usually have too much trouble with the skeeters ,but Mike sprayed stuff on himself. The bugs must like him more than me.

Ruth: It's one of my favorite places all year round, but especially when the geese arrive!

George said...

I really like your odds and ends. The picture of the pond with the water lilies is very beautiful and serene. I can understand why this is one of your favorite places to visit.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This is such a terrific place Mary. I just love that moth and am not surprised you missed the butterfly on the seed pods as it is so small.

Rose said...

I was going to tell you what the bush with the white berries are but see someone has done told you....and I did finally see a Question Mark...I have a photo but haven't posted it yet. It was on the side of our garage this time and I got one photo before it flew.

Becky said...

I can't believe how much I have missed Mary. I'm so sorry. Things here pretty hectic. As with your tennis, baseball is on almost every evening, and the wood, well that's another story..
Anyway more wonderful pictures, and I love the Butterflies. We just don't see some of the ones you get. I'm so thankful you post them.
B.