Saturday, August 7, 2010

After the rain from the front stoop.....

Thursday morning, I stepped outside to see that it had rained and everything was covered with water drops. This Common Whitetail male dragonfly was sitting right on the corner of the stoop.
A little beetle....I suppose he is responsible for that "bite" out of the corner of the leaf!

A moth....I don't know moth names, but loved how he blended in with the walkway he was resting on.

The Live-Forever is looking great. Eventually the flowers will turn purple. It is a type of Sedum. You can plant new ones by just taking a stem and sticking it in soft soil.

A web in the corner of the stoop and walkway had caught a lot of rain drops. You have to click on it to see the web lines. Sort of like a handful of jewels scattered on fine thread.

Surely not a sign of fall coming already!

This one stalk of fuzzy grass (don't know its name) was bent over and holding little drops of water.

That same little moth later in the day on my violet leaves.

While taking these photos, suddenly the hummer flew right next to me to let me know that I was standing in the way of his feeder and he was hungry! So I stepped back a few steps and started taking photos of him. He didn't seem to mind and I stood there about 3 feet from him at the feeder and another couple feet when he would perch in the tree.
Look at that one little "red jewel" at his throat! Love how it catches the sun!

You can see it here, too......one little touch of red at the throat showing promise of more in the future.
Shifting his position on the limb.
He was so willing to sit there except for brief flights to chase away another male or to eat. Cropped this to study his feathers better.
Making a funny face :-)
His best pose.
He closed his eye here!
His tongue.
When they have just eaten and perch on a limb, they always stick out their tongue. Maybe licking up the last drop?
OK....enough hummer, but when they are this friendly, who can resist taking dozens of photos??
A Cicada shell on the underside of a tree limb. When we were kids we would go around collecting these. Back then I had never actually seen the Cicada itself....just collected the empty shells. You can hear them all summer long. Right now they are really noisy! I showed a photo of one last week sometime.

13 comments:

Dorothy said...

Good Morning, Mary! Wonderful pictures...all of them!! And I'm totally jealous of those hummer pictures! I sat out on the back porch a long time at twilight, trying to get a hummer picture using the flash, but failed:(

Mary said...

Dorothy: I've never tried a flash photo of a hummer. Mine are all daylight shots. If you can sit fairly close to where one comes, try focusing on the feeder and then just wait. I use my macro close-up setting. If you see where they perch, you can get good shots of them resting. Mine sit close to the feeder most of the time.

Cicero Sings said...

We are getting rain this morning ourselves. Yippee.

Some great hummingbird shots!

Mike said...

Yep still jealous, but please keep them coming they are just amazing to see. Mike.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The web with raindrops is gorgeous as is the grass.Of course,the Hummers are a treat as usual.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

Wow! Love those hummer photos...and I saw a couple different trees north of here with red on them. One about an hour north, but I forget where the other one was. I wondered if I was seeing things.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What an interesting beetle Mary. He sure had a great big chunk out of that leaf. :)

Love the waterdrops.

Eve said...

You have so many of the same things I'm seeing here Mary. But you did a much better job of getting the young hummingbird than me!! You photos of him are perfect! We had one rain the other day, first time for us right here on the mountain top in months. (actually just this spot I think!!) not enough to help my poor brown gardens.

AFTERMATH said...

Great photos! I really enjoyed the 'tour' through your butterflies and your hummer lady sticking out her tongue. Nice work!

Beverley Baird said...

What a great series of shots in Louisville! Love the view up the huge bat! Awesopme perspective!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My----fabulous pictures, Mary, especially of the hummingbird.... Love them....

We were sitting outside on the swing this morning reading our devotions and I had a red shirt on... A hummingbird came right up to me... Guess he thought I a had some nectar.... ha ha ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

Such a great group of images Mary! I love the hummer shots. They are hard to get. So clear.
B.

George said...

You got some great pictures after the rain. Thanks for sharing these with us.