Very, very, very hot! Our normal temperature might be in the low 90's........
......not 102 degrees! Hot! So any photos I post will be from my front window or a brief moment outside.
The Goldfinches are really busy right now since they don't build their nests and raise their family until July and August. I was happy to have these two males pose for me right outside the window.
They love to sit on the vine and also to pick at its flowers.
The sun is making their color a bit washed out.
Don't know why he is so fluffed up....he can't possibly be cold!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Mary Great shots the goldfinch looks like a beautiful Bird similar to our weavers do the females look so pretty or are they a bit drap like our female wavers ?
You may be wilting but the birds seem to be doing okay. That looks like a HUGE flowerhead Mary?
Too hot! Love the pictures of the bird chiding down on the big sunflower heads.
Hi Mary...that first picture is so darn cute...what are the chances "huh" to have two together like that!!
Looks like you might be able to fry an egg on the sidewalk its so hot there!! ; }...I wanted to try that a week or so back when it was so hot here but was worried that the neighbors would think I had really lost it!! : }
We are back to heat(95)days (60) nights and real hummid but they say this weekend will bring some relief with a Canadian cool front!!!
Well I am rambling now ...picture are great...who doesn't love a goldfinch!!
Try to stay cool...think winter..it will be here before you know it!!
Phillip: the females are a drab olive color. In the winter, both sexes look that way.
Joan: It really is a big sunflower head...dinner plate size..10"?
Cicero: This heat is very unusual for us! This is usually a fairly decent place in the summer months. The humidity makes it seem worse!
Grammie G: I'm not sure that I'm desperate enough to think winter, but I do hope the cool fronts come through soon. It looks like it might rain today. If I had a sidewalk, I'm sure an egg would fry :-)
Thats not hot Mary here in Egypt thats norm for the middle of the Night. Today Its just about 50 c
in the shade.
and I went birding at 6.00 got rather caught up in Nature and ended up doing a 4 hour nature trail walk. got some real good photos. for the blogs.
Tony: Getting out in the heat really wilts me. You are a brave man to get out....will check your photos later!
Some really lovely photos here Mary. Yes thats about 38 degrees celsius over here, that is warm.
A beautiful post, Mary. It's dull, mild and rather grey here!
I now have a new blog, Wild and Wonderful here...
YIKES Mary! We'd probably be melting if we had that temperature over here! I hope it doesn't last too long for you. Great shots of the Goldfinches and the sunflower slowly dwindling away.
We are not seeing as many Goldfinch here as we did in the winter, but as I drove in a few minutes ago, I scared off a pretty pair of them from the thistle seed feeder. Jeep was making pictures of them thru the window as I approached. Yours are so Beautiful!
Wonderful shots, Mary!
Yikes! With heat like that I would be inside with the air conditioner going at full blast.The Goldfinches are beautiful even in the heat.
Blessings,Ruth
Roy: Thanks...much too warm!
Caroline: Thanks...love your new blog!
Jenny: We had a bit of rain today...still hot however. The goldfinches really enjoy the seeds.
Dorothy: I've seen quite a few males so I must have several pair nesting in the area.
Rose: Thanks!
Ruth: I took these photos through the window. I hate the thought of my air conditioning bill right now, but I'm thankfur to have it!
Good grief Mary!! That is bigger than what I thought it was!! :)
Joan: it has now shrunk up and only had a few seeds left, so I pitched it finally.
I am also fascinated by goldfinches! Love the series with the sunflower head!
We've been hot, but only 100 deg. in the sun. Way too hot for me!
Your Goldfinches look quite comfortable though, and maybe the fluffy one is to let out the heat. Most of the birds around here have their mouths open all day.
B.
Hi Mary, I dreaded coming back home into this heat... We had such fabulous weather on the Blue Ridge Parkway.... It's miserable here. I feel sorry for the birds--but they seem to manage the heat fairly well...
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment