Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A walk in the wetlands part 2.......

Continuing yesterday's walk....this might take me several days, so much is happening right now. A high-tech dragonfly.....he likes my car antenna.
Purple flower.....Ironweed!
This one thistle plant was extremely popular......several butterflies and lots of bees. Here we have a Tiger Swallowtail and two types of bees. What are those green headed bees?? I have more photos of them for another day, so will have to research and find out.

Seed pods

Fungi down at duckweed level on the stumps

A little green frog hiding in the middle of a bush. Looks very peaceful there. This is a Green Tree Frog.

Milkweed pod

Little fuzzy caterpillar that was moving from leaf to leaf. He would lean way out over the edge to see if he could reach the next leaf and if not turn around and go down the stem of the plant.

Here he is hanging off and I like how you can see all the little "hairs" sticking out.

A Buckeye hanging upside down....I thought that would be a little different from their normal perfect layout :-)
Some sort of bee/wasp thing?
I always like these leaves.....Arrow-heads and I believe it goes with that white flower with the button center in yesterday's walk..
Monarch on the dead grasses.

It even opened up for me for a brief second!
Part 3 tomorrow....my creepy encounter with a dragonfly.
Let's just say that I do not like having my shoulder used for a killing ground and dinner plate!
(How's that for drama?? Stay tuned!)

9 comments:

Philip said...

Another set of great shots Mary have you any idea what kind of frog it is ?

Eve said...

I was watching a bug reach and reach the other day Mary...but what kind was it...I must be getting old. I haven't seen one Monarch this year! I remember now the bug was on my clippers...and it was kind of cute....I can't wait to see the excitement of the killing field!! I think my bug was one of those nymps of either a Katydid or Assissan bug. I guess it's not going to come to me!

Mary said...

Philip: It's a Green Tree Frog. I actually found a site for frogs of Indiana and there it was!

Eve: Caterpillars are fun to watch. I'd love to be able to match them all up with what the adult will be.

Philip said...

Thanks for the Info Mary I went went to the website and had a look thanks again

Philip

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have captured such wonderful images.The variety,and color are fascinating.Oh no,tomorrow's post sounds almost scary.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

These are making me want to go to the strip pits here to see what is happening...maybe later.

Judy said...

In the photo of the yellow flowers - the short ones are black eyed susan, and the taller ones I don't have figured out yet. Possibly tickseed sunflower. I am so impressed with your knowledge of butterfly and dragonfly names that I don't care if you know flowers or not! Just so long as you let me classify dragonflies as "that pretty blue one"!

Mary said...

Ruth: It was good to get out and see what is happening, but it is turning very hot again.

Rose: We havn't been to the stripper pits here for at least a month. I do with the weather would improve!

Judy: There are so many types of those yellow flowers with dark centers, that it is really confusing. Call the dragonflies anything you want :-) I only know the name of the few kinds that I see regularly and it hasn't taken me several years to remember what they are. Most of the ones here are "pretty blue ones". LOL

George said...

You've gotten some amazing macros on this outing. I don't think I could pick out a favorite. I look forward to Part 3 of your walk.