Monday, August 2, 2010

Following the Quilt Barn trail through Ohio County, KY....

Since we had most of the day to get over to Louisville, KY on Wednesday, we decided to hunt for some of the quilt barns in Ohio County, Kentucky which is sort of on the way. This is a typical quilt barn map put out by the county we were heading for. The best maps have addresses as well as a map. The maps are hard to follow and it is a lot of guessing. With an address and a GPS you can find them much easier! This map also provided names for the various quilt squares. They have over 30 squares up so far, but we were only going to try for about 10 of them that wouldn't take us too far out of the way.
The first barn I spotted was before we entered Ohio County, so it is not on the map....just a chance sighting.
I try to take a far shot of the barn and a close shot of the square. I was disappointed on this trip that we managed to find the 10 squares that were mostly on public buildings and newer barns rather than nice old barns. I know they have some on old weathered barns because they show them on the back of their map....we just didn't get to those, unfortunately.

"Arrowheads".......a nice square and easy to find and see.

I wasn't expecting to find one in the heart of the town of Hartford on the Police Station!

"Hope of Hartford"
They used a lot of public buildings and have even involved their school art departments in helping to design squares. Quilting is an art that is passed down through the generations and this is a nice way to get everyone interested. They are putting squares on all the elementary schools in their county.
Blazing Star and Ohio Star....sponsored by the Ohio Co. 4-H and the Ohio Co. Homemakers. I've never encountered free-standing ones before...these were at the entrance to a park.

"Grandmother's Pride"
This was both a nice square and a neat old barn.
The close-up shot.
"Four Blazing Stars"
And the close-up shot.

"Four Airplanes"
A good choice for an airfield! There are several airplane patterns in quilting.
The close-up
I used this very distant shot of this one for the moody sky overhead!
The pattern is "Fifty-Four Forty or Fight" and is shown.....
.......here in close-up.

They had a cool tank, too :-)
This one is not on the map. This is Dundee, once again...."Home of the Goat" from my earlier post. I don't know the name of this pattern.
Another Fire Department building in Fordsville, KY........."Patriotic Star"

The close-up of this star.
"Pink & Green Floral".....represents all the many applique patterns that quilters do. The building was just a long white metal building, so I won't show a long shot.

No square here....just an old barn. I would like to have seem more of the squares on barns like this, but of course you have to interest the owner in allowing it.
While in Dundee, we spotted this old school that is now a pasture for horses, apparently.

I thought it was a nice old building and I'm sure the horse will absorb some knowledge there :-)
Well....those were all the quilt squares we had time to find. The more picturesque barns are apparently further out and we did need to continue on to Louisville which required backtracking many miles to get back on a road that would get us there.
**********
I told Mike that he is very patient to help me find all these barns and stop for photos! He says its a lot like rallying :-) I hadn't thought of it that way, but he is right. We used to drive in local Sports Car rallies when we were younger and find the correct route was often just as hard....and no GPS.

10 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

How nice that they decorate the barns like this Mary. It is so colorful.

grammie g said...

That looks like a fun day!!
They are interesting and colorful... and nice that company and people allow them on there buildings!!
Do they fade and have to b redone?
Like the shot of the horses in the old school yard!! : }

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I am SO glad you featured the Quilt Barns for us. I was going to look for it in your quilt blog if you didn't post it here. I love seeing all of those patterns...

The airplane one is creative... Love it.... AND--wonder why Dundee didn't have someone make a 'goat' pattern????? ha

Thanks SO much.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

What a neat post! I like the quilt barns and have collected a good many pictures of them that other people have made. Thanks for posting this! Interesting!

Anonymous said...

It really helps to brighten up old barns Mary.
Great new header.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I really like the idea of quilt squares on the buildings.I am not a quilter,but do enjoy looking at this intricate work.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Joan: Not only colorful, but helps salute the history of quilting across our country.

Grammie G: These are done on sign metal and don't need to be repainted, but many places use painted wood. I don't know how often they might need repainting.

Betsy: I enjoy looking for them...sort of a treasure hunt :-) I've never seen a goat quilt pattern, but I'm sure someone has probably made one before.

Dorothy: I've been collecting the maps and keeping a notebook of the different states that have them. I keep trying to see as many as I can.

Roy: Thanks! I think the combination of barns and quilts just really works well together for the pioneer history of this country.

Ruth: Hopefully it is a way to get more people interested in quilts and barns both.

Becky said...

Kudos to Mike. He certainly IS special to take the time for you to photograph all these wonderful quilt patterns. You saw so many. They just aren't around here.
B.

George said...

You found some beautiful squares even if they weren't on old barns. I think it is neat that the county is promoting quilt squares. Hopefully that will lead to more interest in quilting.

Rose said...

I love the one on the old barn best, but really love seeing them anywhere.