Monday, August 9, 2010

A walk at the wetlands part 1.......

With our extreme heat it had been awhile since I went to the wetlands to see what was happening. Saturday was a bit cooler, so I wanted to get out with the camera and take some photos. This wasn't the first thing I saw, but I have tried for 3 years to get a photo of this dragonfly, so I'm posting it first! I see these "fat" looking dragonflies cruising around, but they never seem to stop anywhere. This one did! What looks like a fat body is actually just dark markings on the wings. It is called a "Black Saddlebags" (thanks BugGuide!). I wish that I could get a photo of it from the top or back to see the wing markings. From this angle it is hard to believe that it is just the wings and not the body.

There were some female ducks....Mallards?.....on the far edge of the pond. (NOTE: A couple of these are Wood Ducks, I have since learned)

The meadow area is wildly overgrown with yellow flowers at the moment, so there were lots of butterflies as well. The last time I was here there was very little color at all, so this was a nice surprise.
I'm bad at flower names....especially all the look-alike yellow flowers. No idea.

There were 2 types of Sulphur butterflies flitting around at top speed. I never did catch up with the big ones that I normally see, but these little ones did stop in the grass occasionally. I believe its name is "Little Yellow" which is very appropriate for its size. I wanted an open wing shot, but of course I never got one. You can see a bit of the dark color on the wing tips that would show if they were open.

A side view of this Little Yellow sulphur.

Another pretty flower....something in the wild onion family?

A Viceroy spreading out nicely for me....after I chased it for many minutes.

Don't know this flower either......but I like the "button-like" look of the centers.

One of the small skippers on a clover.

Another skipper in "jet fighter" position. I love when they sit like that :-)

This yellow flower grows with the duckweed all over the creek.

A Widow Skimmer male....always one of my favorites.
I'll finish the walk tomorrow.

12 comments:

Eve said...

I love the saddlebags too Mary! They really know how to zoom around. The skippers are so cute. Some have that jet fighter stance and some don't. There are so many and I just have such a hard time trying to figure them out! I think the yellow flowers are just Black-eyed Susans on of my favorites. It's still very hot here in Alabama...last summer was cold, this one has made up for it!

Mary said...

Eve: The Saddlebag one is so strange looking. This is the first time I ever saw one sitting still. It's been really hot here, too!

AFTERMATH said...

I got a kick out of the vision of you 'chasing' around the butterfly! I, too am apt to race around trying to get the shot of the fleet ones out there. Dragonflies and their cousins are so hard to get and some of the butterflies just won't land long enough for nada! Great work. I really loved the 'button flower,' too. Great form. The onion thing is a member of the alium or garlic family which are cousins to onions. I really love you butterfly line up on the side of the blog.

Dorothy said...

Great pictures, Mary! Love that last one! I think those yellow flowers are what we call "Black-eyed Susans". Don't know about the short one with the duckweed. It looks sort of like a wild evening primrose I used to have.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed my walk with you.Even if the flowers and butterflies stay nameless,their beauty is still the same.Thanks,I enjoyed each picture.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful, Mary.... I enjoyed seeing the butterflies and the wild flowers... We saw a bunch of those yellow ones (which look like Black-eyed Susans sorta).

Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Thanks guys....I'm laughing that you all say "Black-eyed Susans"...you may be right. The ones I call that and have at home have shorter petals. I think we just lump them all under that name. Will the real Black-eyed Susans, please stand up?

Robin: I went back and chased the silly butterflies again today and had a really creepy encounter with a dragonfly...more on that in a post.

Becky said...

That's me above making mistakes.
First I commented twice, and then I tried to delete one, and it took out both comments.
Anyway. I've seen those big fat Dragonflies but haven't been able to catch one sitting still. They remind me of a helicopter.
B.

Mary said...

Becky: No problem! They do have the body look of a helicopter, now that you say that. I always see them flying over the ponds, but never saw one sitting still like most of the dragonflies until this one.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

The white flower you can't name is a most interesting one Mary as so many of the wild ones are.

Philip said...

Great shots Mary way beyond Point and shoot in my opinion ( to use your words ).I love the dragon fly shots GREAT!

Rose said...

I'd love to know what that button-like flower is...I think I would like it in my yard.

That place sure looks like it is swarming with life...I would love to see the one dragonfly from a different angle.