Wednesday, April 14, 2010

St. Paul's wildflower walk part #2......

This first shot was not at St. Paul's, but I wanted to post it anyway. We stopped by my favorite spot for Meadowlarks and I found one that wasn't so far away and got a little better photo for a change :-)
OK....back to the woods! The paths wound through lots of Mayapples, but the flowers aren't open yet. I have some in my yard, so I will wait for them to bloom to get a flower shot.
There are always a few Mayapple that try to come up through a dried leaf and get "trapped". I think it is sad looking.....

.....so of course, I set them free! I'm sure it perked up later in the day. I think I set 3 free on our walk :-)

This was a small butterfly/skipper that I have never seen before and haven't looked up yet. I'm always rather daunted by my butterfly book and take a quick look and give up.
Right in the middle of the path was this one lone pink Oxalis flower! I'm used to seeing the yellow kind that grows commonly in yards as a "weed". We called it "sour grass" and used to eat it when we were kids. I have never seen a pink flowered one.
I always recognize the Oxalis leaves....little shamrock like leaves.....but there were no flowers with most of those I saw.
This type has a different color and a stripe.
A nice mushroom even with the splits! Gives it character.
Spring Beauty can look very pinkish and stripey like this......
......or a much paler white with few stripes.

Some nice fiddlehead ferns coming up
I had given the camera to Mike when we spotted this dragonfly....my first for the year! His shot. I will have to remind myself of all of their names again. Couldn't remember if this was one of the females or something new I have never seen before. (NOTE: Tom at the Ohio Nature Blog says this is a Stream Cruiser)
A chunk of log covered in fungi.
Had to include the June 8 storm sign. Mike and I were married on June 8 a few years before this. Since that time there have been THREE major storms on June 8 in our area! One was on our 25th wedding anniversary. Really.....it has nothing to do with our marriage....honest! I don't even remember this one....we lived on the other side of town during this one.
One last tiny yellow wildflower that I have no idea what its name is. It had little pods on it, as you can see. (NOTE: Tom also identified this plant...Corydalis flavula)
That is my annual wildflower walk and post. St. Paul's Nature Preserve is a great place to go looking for them or just go for a nice walk in the woods.

11 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It may be sad looking Mary, but that is a lovely contast not only in color but in old and new. Lovely dragonfly. I am sure this place must be crawling with bugs during the summer.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh my,I so want to go for a walk at this place.Will you join me?I wish it were that easy.Thanks for these beautiful pictures.Interesting little fact,Jake and I were married on June9,1972.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

What a wonderful walk!! I dearly love to walk in the woods!! We used to eat those purple looking shamrock things. I think we called them sheep-shears or something like that. Thanks for taking us along on your walk!

Rose said...

Nice captures! I have yet to see a butterfly or dragonfly. However, out at the strip pits last week there were mosquitos that were so big and so many, I was afraid they might just carry off me and my Rav4!

Cicero Sings said...

Your the second blog I've read today posting about wild flowers. Not too much up here but it's nice to see them popping up somewhere!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lots of fresh spring green on your walk Mary - how lovely it all is. A x

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary, your Dragonfly looks like a stream cruiser, and your small yellow flower looks like Corydalis flavula.

Cheers,

Tom

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! The wildflowers are really out right now and it was a great day for walking among them.

Tom: Thanks for the dragonfly name...I don't know that one, so I'm glad to know what it is! I'm sure I will immediately forget the name of the flower, but will try to find a "common name" now that you supplied the hard one! Tomorrow is a snapping turtle!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a wonderful walk, Mary... You know all of the wildflowers and other things growing in the woods... I love the one whith shamrock leaves. NEAT!!!!


June 8th, huh????? Well---when things happen on that day--you will be sure and remember it. We got married on June 23... But we waited until September to take our honeymoon... Guess what happened during our honeymoon????? 9/11/01.... Yipes!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I would really enjoy a walk through this place in person, but I thank you for taking us along with you through your pictures.

Becky said...

Oh my what a marvelous walk Mary. I remember eating "sour grass" too.
Love that mushroom.
Things in your area are about 2 weeks ahead of us. I only hope we have some Butterflies this year. Last year was a bummer.
B.