Thursday, April 15, 2010

Big turtle......

We went to the wetlands yesterday and Mike spotted this turtle back moving around in the water.We could see it was a big one, so I started watching it.
Coming towards me and coming up for a look round.

What a big snapping turtle!

I think they have a very prehistoric look

Look at the tail and the jagged edges of the carapace.

At this point he was right below me and going under the boardwalk.


On the bank of the creek, there was a bird digging in the leaves the whole time we were there! We could see a pile of leaves that kept being flung around, but could barely see the Thrasher doing the digging :-)
Can you find it? You will have to click on the photo probably to spot it.
Here his side is showing a bit better.

And a nice little Titmouse that was much easier to see.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous to get the Turtle Mary, great shots.

George said...

That's got to be one of the largest turtles I've ever seen. You did a great job of getting these pictures.

grammie g said...

I guess you know I won't be sticking my toe in that water with that big guy around!! Great picture though!! It took a bit but I did see the thrasher..."good disguse he has"

Dorothy said...

Great pictures of that huge turtle!
That's the largest one I've ever seen!

me ann my camera said...

Somr snsppers can get to be very big! and old! Their tails remind me of stegroaurus!(nispelled I'm sure!
Ann

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary---that is a HUGE turtle. I'm not sure I've ever seen one that large... Wow!!!

Can't believe that you found that Thrasher in that pile of leaves. He fits right in to the area around him....

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Diane AZ said...

That snapping turtle does look huge! I think thrashers are funny because they seem to be oblivious to how much noise they make while flinging things around. The Titmouse is adorable. :)

Becky said...

We have a snapper about that big down on the creek. His shell is nearly the size of a dinner plate, but I haven't seen him this year yet. You were very lucky to get so close, and got such great pictures.
That bird in the leaves looks nearly completely hidden. Great catch.
B.

Anonymous said...

We have those same giant snapping turtles here in the creek on our property. It's not too often that you catch sight of one though. And I never seem to have a camera with me when I do.
Sometimes when it floods we've seen 5 or 6 in one little section of our creek. I wish I could see them more often. I agree they look very prehistoric.

Richard Lawry said...

That is one big turtle. We have some big ones in this area. The biggest one I've seen here was about 13" across

An Arkies Musings

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Good grief that is HUGE!! He sure would make enough soup to feed a family or two. :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That turtle is a beauty.