Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Late afternoon at the wetlands....

Monday it was too nice a day to not go out somewhere as the afternoon was winding down. So of course I picked the wetlands as the easiest place to go and know I would see something interesting there.We had barely started across the boardwalk, when Mike spotted something swimming in the water.....Muskrat!

He either didn't really mind us being there or didn't notice, but he did start swimming towards shore.


We watched him dive and disappear near this bank, so now we know where his home is.


A Cardinal soaking the last rays of sunshine.


Two or three Red-Wing Blackbirds were "buzzing" at us as we walked around. This one posed in the sunlight for a few minutes before taking off.


This one remained hidden, but I like this photo for some reason.


A log full of interesting fungi......sort of like "bellybuttons" :-)


Several Goldfinches were flitting about.
The closest I've been to a squirrel for awhile.....couldn't get any good shots. There were two of them eating among the trees.

A little butterfly that was frantically flying about......Red Admiral?

This was at home, but I watched this Downy "freeze" on the tree for several minutes. I didn't see any hawks around, but it sure acted like there was something to hide from. It finally stuck its beak around the edge of the tree and decided all was well.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a Red Admiral Mary, didn't know you had those over there.

Rose said...

I think its a Red Admiral, also...wonder what the woodpecker saw? Great red-winged blackbird shot.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh how lucky to get the muscrat Mary!! That is very interesting fungi too.

Mary said...

Roy: Apparently the Red Admirals are common all over the US, but I just haven't seen one before now :-)
Rose: I don't know, but all of the sudden she quit eating and froze on the backside of the limb of the tree. Usually means a hawk is somewhere around.

Joan: Ususally all I see is a bit of a head moving through the water when we see one. This one kept sticking his tail out of the water, too, making him easy to see. I don't think they water is very deep there.

Dorothy said...

Great pictures of some interesting subjects! I've never seen a muskrat before.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Interesting series of pictures. I like the Fungi,and the belly button idea.These lovely spring days just make me want to be out somewhere as well.
Blessings,Ruth

Kathie Brown said...

What a nice walk. Love the "belly button" fungi!

Becky said...

You have butterflies already. Wow !
Love all the birds, and I have seen one Muskrat here too.
Those fungi are awesome!
B.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat capture of the Muskrat.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I'm trying to catch up on blogs.... It is a long long process.... By the way, I've heard some great conversations with my Cousin Betty Palmer. Amazing isn't it?????

Interesting about the Downy --being so still. He must have been hiding from something.

Interesting pictures of the fungi.... And I loved the Muskrat.

Hugs,
Betsy