We drove over to the Henderson Slough area to see what birds might still be around. We found Sandpipers mostly! This was the closest I have gotten and better shots then usual. We saw at least 2 kinds, maybe 3.
I'm assuming what we mainly saw are Yellowlegs, but whether we saw both Greater and Lesser, I haven't figured out.
There appeared to be two different sizes of birds.
Most were like this with the spotty looking feathers.
Mixed in with them were ones that had more bird like feathers (if that makes sense). A better photo of those further down.
I think this is one of the smaller looking ones.
Big and little


This shows the two types of feathers. I would just be guessing to try to figure out the one on the left. I have not seen a lot of sandpipers.
Another shot of the two kinds. When the one in front looks right at you it has a stripe up the middle of it's head.

Some seemed to be lighter gray than others.....non-breeding vs. breeding? The light gray ones seemed the biggest here.
Here is a pair we saw at a different location and you can see that one is a lot bigger than the other.
This one has his mouth open for several shots :-) They were all noisy! If I knew bird calls, I would surely know what we saw.
I got a couple of accidental flight shots. I like how they land.....with the wings up and then bring them down to their sides. This one is taking off.
Very interesting day! I really enjoyed seeing all of these. There was one body of water that seemed to have a lot of them mixed with some ducks, but it was on the far side of a plowed field and I didn't get good shots. I figured if I walked across the field they would all fly away.
We also saw a few ducks and other things, so maybe more from this trip tomorrow.
11 comments:
Hi Mary!
I'm back here to see more of your photography with birds... I have to admit I love the first photo you posted for sky watch. {the one of the bird in the ash tree} This is frame-able!
Would you mind if I include this photo in my sidebar with a link back to your blog?
It's so beautifully composed~
*Maria
Maria: I don't mind...wish it was a more exciting bird. I think it is just a House Sparrow.
The Sandpiper has interesting feathers! This is another one that I never see. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
Is a Slough the same as a marsh Mary? It looks like a wonderful place for birding.
Joan: A slough is a backwater swampy area, a wetlands near a river or creek. This particular place has a lot of flooded low lying fields near the Ohio River on the Kentucky side. It is where the Snow Geese come in the winter. It is mud and very shallow water in most places, which is what these sandpipers like. The conservation people have put pipes in parts of this area to pipe water on the fields in the winter for the geese. Some areas hold the water year round. Parts of it have now been drained, plowed and planted, but will be returned to water in the winter for the geese.
Wow~! What a bunch of sandpipers!
Beautiful pictures of the Sandpipers, Mary... That area shows you different birds most everytime you go, doesn't it??? How Neat!
Love that last picture of the bird in flight --and that beautiful water shot.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Those Sandpipers are so hard to identify.And perhaps just as hard to photograph,they seem to melt into their surroundings.
Blessings,Ruth
Cool birds Mary. I like looking at shore birds even though I have no idea what they are.
B.
They really blend right in with that swampy environment. Great captures. They're such graceful little birds. Thanks for your nice comment on my La Conner post. It is a pretty area.
Great birds Mary, I have friends up north that would know right away what each of these are but I'm no expert on Sandpipers. Great photos.
Post a Comment