Monday, April 19, 2010

More from Henderson.....

A few more odds and ends from the Henderson Slough area. This was one of the first birds we saw and I am not sure what it is.....maybe a Green Heron?
It's wings look rather long as it took off here.

We saw quite a few Blue Wing Teal. They were the only ducks we saw all day.

a group of them in one flooded field area.
They seem to get along fine with the Sandpipers.

I kept wondering where all these birds would go as the field dried out more and more. Nothing but large "puddles" here but that suited the pipers.

The fields next to the area are already plowed....in fact we had to get off the road twice for some very large farm equipment to pass us by. Mike liked this Red-Wing Blackbird......it had such a nice wing display.
It is easy to forget how close the Ohio River is, until you look across a field and see a barge going by on the river! The water must be pretty high right now, which explains why some of the fields are still flooded.

A swallow of some sort sitting on the wire. We saw several swooping on one area.

We were exploring some of the side gravel roads that are closed from Oct. to March for the Snow Geese and other migrating water fowl. We found this lovely area and had a picnic nearby.

A dragonfly that was keeping us company. Common Whitetail female, I think.

These flowering trees/bushes were attracting a lot of large bees, but I don't know what they are.

This toad tried to hop down the road in front of us......

....so I had to get out and move him. He doesn't look too happy about me handling him :-)

I left him by this nice patch of phlox.

One road we took suddenly dead-ended in water! We spooked a Great Blue Heron there, but he was gone very quickly as we drove up. He had been standing right at the side of the road.
Obviously we have a lot more to explore in this area, but not having a truck or 4-wheel drive has kept us off a couple of the roads that always seem to be flooded.

15 comments:

Tony nile life said...

The toad was not too happy he is still waiting to be kissed. seen any handsome young princes lately on that road. they do not get much chance around here either the herons keep eating them,

Rose said...

I can't help but wonder how long it will be before we see dragonflies...it got down pretty cool night before last so am thinking it might be a while yet.

Eve said...

It's back to business isn't it Mary. You always do a great job on these nature walks.

Dorothy said...

You are so blessed to have a great place to go for pictures and nature walks!!! Great photos, as usual!!! Have a happy new week!!!

Anonymous said...

Another great set of images Mary. Mudflats are ideal for Sandpipers to search for food.

Kelly said...

...ha! Loved the photo of you holding the frog. He doesn't look too happy! :-)

Kelly said...

...we haven't seen any dragonflies yet. I'll have to keep watching.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I'm glad I had a chance to come by. Great shots. Love the shots of the frog and no, he didn't look too happy. LOL! Reminds me of the Wetlands that i visit here.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Thanks for this interesting little trip into your part of the world.Such beauty everywhere.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat place to go to get away from the world, Mary.... You all are so lucky to be so near to such great wildlife areas. Beautiful photos...

I wouldn't drive in or through the water either.... Sometimes when we are on the back roads, waterfalling, we come upon a creek crossing. I CRINGE from head to toe---and hate crossing those creeks.

Cute little toad... Glad you took care of him!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Pearl Maple said...

Really enjoyable to see all the nature photos you are sharing with everyone.

George said...

You certainly see some wonderful scenes and get some great pictures when you visit Henderson. I hope you will be able to do more exploring as the roads dry out.

Splendid Little Stars said...

What a beautiful place! great photos and descriptions!

Kathie Brown said...

What a lot to see. You could pick a peck of blue-winged teal from that field there!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Definitely a Green Heron, you can see that purple belly.