Friday morning before we left Tucson, I talked my family into taking me to Fort Lowell Park, where there was suppose to be a good birding area along the Pantano Wash.
You head to the back corner of the park along the pecan trees.
Saw this cute little squirrel enjoying something...perhaps one of the pecans.
Some large Grackles were strutting about.
This small Riparian area was created by the Arizona Youth Conservation Corp in the 70's (hope I got that right...I don't have the information book with me).
A turtle enjoying the small but beautiful water area. This is surrounded by Cottonwoods and other trees that attract the birds.

The little waterfall is very inviting. A pair of Mallards were enjoying the shade of a tree nearby.
A Verdin in one tree. We were not there at the best time of day....getting towards noon, but still saw a lot of bird activity. I just couldn't always get photos and I don't know the bird voices for the southwest.
We saw several hummingbirds. I don't know what this one is and don't have a guide book with me at the moment. (I'm in a motel in Nashville writing this)
Another side view....forked tail, white at throat seemed to be the most distinguishing characteristics. Fairly large.
We walked down to the Wash ( I keep hoping to find a Roadrunner and they have been seen there...no luck) My sister playing around in this rock maze while I scan for birds in the low scrubby trees and bushes.
This little bird was in and out of the bushes, but this is the best shot I got....some sort of sparrow.
This Anna's Hummingbird was very willing to pose at the top of a tree. They are so big, I always think that I'm seeing a songbird until they turn their head and I see the long bill and the red at the throat. It is about 5" long.
From the side the red area looks black and dull.
A slightly different angle. I do love seeing hummingbirds and this seemed to be a good place to look for them. I have a video of two chasing each other, but will not try to load it here at the motel. That was all we had time for that morning and we flew out later in the afternoon. A good trip! I'm looking forward to getting back home and seeing the changes there. We are going to a car museum in Nashville before we leave this morning. It is raining here in Nashville....something we didn't have in Arizona :-) I actually don't mind....constant sunshine can get wearing and hot.
The little waterfall is very inviting. A pair of Mallards were enjoying the shade of a tree nearby.
9 comments:
Mary, I'm catching up on all your posts. I have to say that no matter what you do or where you go it is ALWAYS just a JOY to read your words and enjoy every photo you post. I'm so happy I found you! You and Mike and family have a very wonderful Easter.
The water falls looks like it should attract lots of birds at the right time. Have a wonderful Easter.
Blessings,Ruth
Looked like a neat area, Mary... You all certainly had a wonderful week in Arizona. Sorry about the rain in Nashville... We have none in Knoxville where we were this morning. On the way home--and it looks cloudy though!!!
Hope you enjoy the car museum... Have a SAFE trip to Indiana.
Happy Easter.
Hugs,
Betsy
There must be lots of hummingbirds there...can't imagine seeing so many.
Thank you everyone! I'm back home and looking forward to catching up with all your blogs and answering comments. I didn't get a lot of computer time while on vacation.
It sounds as if you had a wonderful trip and you certainly got many wonderful pictures, not just at Fort Lowell Park but each day you were in Arizona. I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.
Another great place you visited Mary. Have a safe trip back.
I'm going to have to check out the Riparian area at Ft. Lowell Park sometime for the birds and turtles. The squirrel is cute too!
Well, Mary, I am finally getting around to visiting here! I wish I could tell you what your 2 mystery birds are but there isn't enough detail! I have never been to Ft. Lowell park though I do know its reputation as a birding hotspot. I will have to visit now. Your post intriques me!
Post a Comment