Friday, April 2, 2010

More Sabino Canyon....

The first 9 of these photos are Mikes. I took some of the same ones, but his were sometimes better :-) Saw several butterflies....this was the more cooperative one :-) One beautiful swallowtail followed along beside us on the tram at one point, but impossible to photograph.
We both liked this "portrait" of ourselves looking down on the water overflowing the road.

The "winking face" rock formation.
Lesser Goldfinch singing in the trees.
Chickory
Looks like the cactus is carrying someone.

A nice nest.
The driver pointed out this mystery plant and said no one had been able to tell him what it is.

I thought this was a cool shot of the cactus spines that Mike took!
Flowers around the rocks.

The grasses that grow in the sandy areas.
Scorpionweed

Fiddleneck
Globemallow up close. The most common ones seem to be this orange color, but we also have seen yellow and pale purple.
I'm guessing this is a Verdin, but don't really know since it is hidden behind the branch......like most of my bird photos were :-)
I just liked how this rock face looked with all the lines.

Another odd rock face.
A hole in the rock. Wonder if anything lives there?
They warn you about mountain lions when you ride the tram, and said the most recent sighting was 3 weeks ago.

9 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fascinating scenes. Thanks for sharing these so I get to see this area through your eyes.Have a meaningful Good Friday.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

Glad you are having such an interesting holiday. Such interesting landscapes. That cactus form really is interesting and DOES look like it is carrying a body.

Happy Easter Weekend to you.

Tony nile life said...

I was wondering if there was any dragonflies and butterflies. i see you managed to get 1.
Happy Easter from Egypt.

Dorothy said...

Those are wonderful pictures!! Neat cactus carrying a small one! What a nice trip you must have had! Happy Easter!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Both you and Mike take GREAT pictures, Mary... Looks like you had a wonderful time in the canyon. Mountain lions are to Arizona like Black Bears are to the Smokies!

Love the cactus 'carrying' someone... Neat!!!!

Happy Easter. Have a safe trip home.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

More lovely scenery Mary, just like out of some Western Film.
Oh! Mountain Lions, well nothing too dangerous then. {:))

Rose said...

That one of the cactus spines--I was trying to figure out what in the world it was. That one is a great shot!

Mary said...

Roy: Funny you mentioned western films. Sabino Canyon was used in a bunch of westerns both film and TV at one time :-)

Kathie Brown said...

I'm heaed to Sabino tomorrow for another bird survey! Looks like you had fun!