For those who don't know it, those are the opening words of our state song. I guess it was the way that I felt as we drove from Nashville to Evansville and I saw the puffy clouds in the blue sky, the Redbuds lining the highway, the patches of dandelions, the pear trees blooming and all the other green stuff that has been missing the last 10 days in Arizona. I love vacations, but "there's no place like home". Now I am playing "catch-up" trying to see what all I have missed while we were gone.
After church we stopped at Mouteau Park to look for Meadowlarks....there are always some there at this time of year grazing in the open meadow.
I just wish I could get closer shots! I get so frustrated when I see a beautiful photo like this....the Meadowlark singing....and can't crop in any closer. Sigh.
The back view
They are easy to spot when they turn that yellow breast with the black V towards you. Mike calls it their "sweater" and it does look a lot like a vee-neck sweater.
Also, way out on the pipes there was a Kestrel eating something and sitting there looking very small.
It started doing a "hanging" act in the sky......hunting? Even though I could get photos, once again, I can't crop them very close and still have any details left.
It was interesting to watch it do this, even without good photos.
On the back way home we passed a house with their driveway lined with Bradford Pear trees....beautiful!
They have a couple of beautiful horses, too.
On the home front, I began to search for the changes that had occurred since we left. My violets are beginning to spread everywhere. I love violets, so I let them grow anywhere they want.
Around back, there are pale purple ones mixed with the darker ones.
Spreading towards the neighbor's house....hope they like violets!
My pear tree is not very pretty from a distance....it lost two of its main limbs a few years back...but the flowers are just as pretty as on a whole tree.
Close up against the blue sky :-)
I have two clumps of daffodils along the dam that were still blooming.
One clump is mostly white narcissus....complete with bug.
Dandelions have gone crazy back of the garage.....
....along with lots of other weeds and the grass needs mowing already! Mike will have to spend some time tomorrow finding out if the lawn tractor still works (it is getting really old).
Well.....we're home and everything looks normal for this time of year! My birds are beginning to discover that I'm back home to feed them. I don't think any have moved into my gourds so far....disappointing after last years success. It's time to clean out the flower gardens, mow and trim and try to make the place look ready for a new year of growth.
I've still got a few vacation bits that I will stick in when I have a slow day, but time moves on and I'm sure I will begin to see new stuff every day that I just have to take photos of!
15 comments:
Nothing stands still. not even for those of us who take vocations. and oh yes its so nice to get back home. its a bit like having a child and not wanting to miss it growing up.
Lots of lovely colourful flowers and green grass, I bet its nice to be back Mary.
I've been seeing a kestrel perched on top of a saguaro cactus when I go for my morning walks. I love your pear blossoms and daffodils!
It's good to see you made it home safely.The signs of spring are everywhere.I love those Violets.I would not have the heart to get rid of such beauty,either.
Blessings,Ruth
Well that ten days sure flew by! I enjoyed all of your posts from Arizona.
It's nice to see how much is blossoming in your part of the state. We have had several nice/warm days up here and aren't too far behind you in things greening up and blossoming. I sure like that driveway lined with the pear trees. That is awesome!
All these blooms and flowers are magnificent Mary. You are right, no matter where I have traveled and even enjoyed it, it has always good to be back home again.
It looks like you came home to some gorgeous Spring scenes. I like your Bradford Pear tree, even if it did lose some branches -- the blossoms are beautiful. I hope your lawn tractor works. I've got to get outside and mow our lawn.
the flowers and the bird looks great ..yhanks for all the lovely pics..
www.myyatradiary.blogspot.com
Hi Mary,
I just stumbled upon your blog. Very nice! Great photos!! Vacations are nice but its always nice to be back home.
Beautiful! Violets are one of my very favorites as well.
Welcome home, Mary... George is mowing today here for the first time... I've been raking up sticks and leaves and junk....
I'd love to see a Meadowlark. They are so pretty.
Love your wild violets. I have a few --but not too many. Our Daffodils are blooming and some of our tulips. I'm going to try to get some pictures today--but it's kinda cloudy....
Have a great day, Mary.
Hugs,
Betsy
Looking at you pictures makes me feel like spring. Very nice!
An Arkies Musings
Beautiful pictures ! I love the first one the little bird just moving in its new home and looking out of the window !
I keep my neighbours two little birdies while she is on holidays they are not bigger than a thumb, silver grey with red beaks (I don't know the name). Although they sing loud the whole day, the cats haven't moved yet, of course the door is closed, but they don't even sit in front of the door.
WElcome back!. you get such a loavely variety of birds in your area and blosoms!! Soon I can post some I think. I should hsve crocus in bloom within a few days. I hope so snyway.Ann
Welcome home!! I love the new header Mary. and yes I've seen a lot of those pear trees around here...LOVE them.
Post a Comment