Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What can I say?.....it was a slow day.

Well....nothing much happened that was photogenic yesterday. These are mostly shots I took sometime last week and never used.Except this 5-lined Skink that decided to climb the dead dogwood.


Chickadee...dee...dee

Local berries!....I didn't grow them or pick them, but I sure am enjoying eating them!

Dove picking out its next target......look out below!

Grasses waving in the wind while I waited for a train to go by. They were really blowing!

18 comments:

me ann my camera said...

What a great variety to choose a favourite from. :-) I think the grasses blowing in the wind is rather nice, a bit like an ocean of grass. And a Skink is an unusual picture for me as I've never, seen or heard of one and it really grabs my attention. Is it like a salamander or lizard?

Becky said...

You wouldn't want to share those delicious strawberries would you. Nothing ripe around here yet, and the store bought ones are way too expensive.
I love that Skink picture.

Mary said...

Ann: I really don't know anything about skinks. I only knew it's name because Tom in Ohio identified it for me when I posted it before....I hadn't seen the blueish tail then. I assume it is some sort of lizard. It lives under my front walk. I was very surprised to see it head up the tree! It went as far as the suet and then turned around and came back down. I imagine it gets lots of crumbs, if that is what it likes. The blowing grasses were so pretty, I actually took a video of them blowing! (what else can you do while waiting for a train?)

Mary said...

Becky: Well...the strawberries are disappearing pretty fast, so there might not be any to share :-) Will have to head back to the farm market again.

Anonymous said...

Not bad for a slow day.

Mary said...

For the People: Well....these were from several "slow days" :-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Hmmm!! Those strawberries look delicious. I planted some as ground cover in my garden, then it would be a big fight with the birds over them. I would just decide that they would be ideal to be picked the next day, come home and find a huge bite out of it. LOL!! I always threatened to pull the birds tail feathers out if I got hold of him.
That is a nice picture of the lizard. It might not be as close-up as mine, but still a good picture.

Mary said...

SAP..Joan: The strawberries taste pretty good! I've never had luck raising them but there are several U-pick places in the area and the farm market to buy them already picked. Hard to defeat the birds. When I was a kid it was my job to protect cherry trees from the birds...an endless job when they are ripe! Birds think that all fruit is theirs :-)

abb said...

I'm with FTP - not bad for a slow day! The dove's "position" made me giggle.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

You made us laugh with that dove picture! Great photos!
--JB

Mike said...

Great post Mary, and I am very jealous of the waxwings in your previous post.

Mary said...

Annie and JB: We were waiting for a train and looked up and saw the dove. My husband started the car forward just as I snapped, but it looked pretty funny anyway! He really looks like he is just waiting for a victim.

Mike: Thanks! These are the first waxwings I've seen and just wish I had been a whole lot closer to them....or that they were at my house!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Great post, Mary! I love the wispy grasses with the flowers. So pretty. The skink is cute! I wouldn't mind diving into some of those strawberries right now.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: Thanks! I may go get a bowlful as soon as I get off the computer :-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

These strawberries are especially good with some fresh cream!! The birds are really cheeky when it comes to fruit season. They do think we plant it all for them. LOL!!

John Theberge said...

I'm picturing those strawberries in a strawberry shortcake, mmmmmm. That skink photo was interesting, we don't have lizards in Maine, at least I've never seen one in the wild.

sandy said...

I always enjoy your blog, you have such a variety, skinks, yuck. I have had a few around here and they are not nice.

Mary said...

Joan: I've just been enjoying them by themselves or on cereal mostly. Too lazy to make a shortcake...maybe with the next bunch I buy :-)

John: Shortcake sounds good...except for making it. Surely there is some skink that lives in Maine!

Sandy: thanks! I enjoy your blog also! My skink lives under the front walk and I seldom see it....but the cats are interested.