Thursday, June 26, 2008

Double post today....

I've got images stacking up, so I am posting two posts today to try to catch up.I always love these wild peas that grow along the roadside in spots and want to collect some seeds and grow some!
bee and flowers

Yellow ?



Queen Anne's Lace


Song Sparrow at the edge of our pond. I have a couple who like to hang out there bathing.


OK.....people look at you funny when you photograph bugs on the windows of restaurants.
What is it?
(Becky at Woodynook Creations says this is a Mayfly! Thanks, Becky!)
cute little finch on my crook

cute enough to get 2 pictures :-)


Sunflower volunteer

I like the way the Widow Skimmer hangs on to the grass


My bald cardinal is still bald and it has been several months since I saw her originally.

The Eastern Amberwings are the only ones that hover in one spot long enough for me to get the camera focused. I don't know how to set my camera to catch the faster ones.


11 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

These are fabulous! Amazing that you can shoot the dragonfly as it hovers! Wow!

Mary said...

Kerri: Thanks! That is the only one that stays in one place long enough for me to get a photo of it hovering.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful pictures, Mary! I didn't realize how far behind I've gotten. My life is so crazy right now. I looked at your previous posts, too. Love the flowers, dragonflies, bunny, birds, butterflies and all the rest. Strange about the cardinal not yet getting her feathers back. I hope she doesn't get a sunburn, poor thing.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: I think that you have had plenty on your mind. Missing my blog is not a major problem :-) I don't think the cardinal is going to get those feathers back.

Becky said...

More great pictues Mary.
I Love the Wild Peas, but haven't seen any this year yet.
The insect on the window you are asking about is a Mayfly ( Hexagenias ).Really common this time of year around lakes and river, and are attracted to lights..

Mike said...

Gret post Mary stunning shots. I will have to get out and try and snap some these dragonflies myself, if the rain ever stops.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks for the ID on the Mayfly. I've seen them before, but never knew what it was called!

Mike: I hope you do, because I know you will have really excellent shots of them!

abb said...

Black/Brown Eyed Susan's! One of my very favorite flowers and I think (think is the operative word here) is the state flower of Maryland.

Your photos are always just wonderful!

Tom said...

With Sky Watch up andrunning I do not have time to check out many of the fine blogs I come across, but today I have had to stop here a while and soak in all this nature, your birds are a delight, and your flying insects astound me... You have an excellent, well presented and very interesting blog and I just wanted to let you know that...

Now I'm back on board to chase more skies

Tom

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh dear!! I put a comment here earlier Mary, but I see it is not here. I wonder what happened?? Okay I am going to try again, sorry about that.
I mentioned that you are getting VERY good at this managing to catch this Amberwing in mid flight. VERY WELL DONE!!

sandy said...

Wow, short on time but glad to see that bald cardinal again. Great pic. I'll catch up later.

s