(OK....I'm not a farmer. Roy says this is barley and he may be right. I thought it was what they call Winter Wheat around here. It was planted last Fall.)
Roy at Fenlandwalker posted pictures of his green wheat and I said ours was already golden, so I took a few pictures for comparison. It still has green in it, but from a distance looks very golden. I can see this field from my front door looking through the trees. I live on a street with just 8 houses and there are farm fields on two sides of our subdivision. When the farmers get tired of farming and their children don't want to farm, they develop small housing developments. I love the mixed look of the area right now and hope this farmer isn't ready to retire for awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
A wheat stalk is one of the most beautiful shapes God ever came up with! Such glorious symmetry!
You really need to stop posting more than twice a day! The last time I checked, Stumpy the squirrel was the latest post. And to think I almost missed these two!
As always, your photos are wonderful.
Annie: You make me laugh :-) I've had trouble posting at all....and then today did 2. I want you to know that thanks to you, I am now calling that squirrel "Stumpy"! I didn't intent to post twice today, but it sure felt good to get outside and not melt in the humidity.
I like the close up photos of the wheat, they're very abstract.
John: Thanks! I never realized how photogenic wheat was, until I went out to take the pictures :-)
My mom sees lots of wheat fields here too out where she and my daddy bike ride. Very pretty gold colors in your photos.
--JB
golden wheat alrady?!
Wow. that has to be really early?
Beautifull pictures :)
Thanks for the comparison Mary. It certainly is more advanced than here. We would call that crop 'Barley' over here, (divided by a common language as ever!!) Its all the same stuff really as it produces the corn seed inside. You are very lucky to live where you are to be able to see the fields.
Well....now I'm confused. Wheat or barley? (will have to look this up...obviously I'm not a farmer) We call it "winter wheat". It was planted last Fall and is now ripening. I do enjoy living outside the city limits where there are farms and small woods and lots of "nature" up close.
Pretty wheat field. It always looks so soft!
Post a Comment