Today was the start of the W. C. Handy Blues and Barbecue festival over in Henderson, KY (across the Ohio River from Evansville, IN) http://www.handyblues.org/
The first day is blues in the city park with assorted bands and barbecue offered by various groups around the square.......the best of barbecued mutton, pork, ribs, rib tips, etc. Sure smelled good everywhere we went! Homemade ice cream or sweet potato pie were also available.
You bring your own lawn chairs and settle in under the trees to eat and listen to the music....
The only "bird" I saw :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
It sounds like a great place to spend the day and probably was much more fun than mine was, which I spent gardening.
Funny about your turning around to take the picture of the snake. I do the same thing; last evening it was for a trutle that was crossing the road and today it was of a Northern Harrier hunting in a field by the highway.
Ann: I hate to miss a good photo op! I was sort of surprised that Mike would turn around and go back, but I think he was curious, too! It was a large snake...probably totally harmless.
Hi Mary--I'm back among the living and have just enjoyed your last several posts. The festival looked like a lot of fun. Big snake! Your skies and birds were fun to view too.
I agree with Bruce, it looks like a lot of fun and I can almost smell those barbeque ribs. LOL!! The snake looks like a constrictor or python of some kind. Do you know what it is?
Bruce: what a pleasant surprise! I was beginning to wonder about where you were!
Joan: Thanks! The ribs were great! I really don't know snakes, but around here I would assume it is something very benign....rat snake or something like that. We only get 2-3 bad snakes here...cottonmouth, copperheads mostly. It reminded me of a rattlesnake, but there were no rattles :-) Maybe someone will identify it for me.
It looks like a corn snake to me. That's the rat snake that looks like a copperhead, but is safe.
Thanks, Mary. I have put up some Videos for V on my blog alphabet finally too. I had a sad week.
Looks like you had a great day....uh, maybe minus that scary snake!
--JB
Bruce: Thanks for the identification. It's at a farmer's mailbox, so corn snake sounds appropriate :-) It was back when I came home from church! Must like that sunny spot in the gravel. Sorry to hear you had a sad week.
JB: I hope you stay well away from snakes, JB....a cat would make an awfully large lump in its tummy. We did have a good day yesterday.
This looks like a fun day, Mary! I could use a day like this. The snake, I could do without, especially near my mailbox! :) It is pretty though.
Post a Comment