Monday, June 23, 2008

Sunflowers, silly sparrow, and Slaty Skimmers.....

OK.......see if you can say that 6 times real fast :-)

It seems to have been an "S" day in several ways.My first sunflower from the many seeds that fall under my bird feeder tree. I always let a patch of them grow. Later on the goldfinches will pick them clean of seeds and enjoy them greatly. The butterflies like them, too.

I love this bud.

This is my "silly sparrow". Later in the day, I found the poor little thing had gotten inside this suet cage and had its head sticking out one hole and its wing out another. It was just sitting there trapped.....looking so scared without a clue how to get out! I have no idea how long it was there. I held it and dumped the suet cake out and pushed its wing gently back through the hole and it was able to turn around and fly off like the wind was after it. I think I will not hang that one horizontal again until a few of these little sparrows grow up and go away.

Slaty Skimmer male......I think. I had trouble finding this one and apparently its color varies a lot. I have pictures where it looks black and ones where it looks navy blue.



This is the female.....she had been laying eggs, but I didn't realize what she was doing and didn't take pictures....duh. She kept dipping her tail in the water.

Male and female together. She is sort of a dull brown on the sides. Hope to see her better eventually.

12 comments:

Becky said...

What a great post. I love Sunflowers, but don't see any growing under my feeders yet. Last year we had lots. Maybe the Raccoon has eaten all the spilled ones. Good thing you were there to rescue the Silly Sparrow.

John Theberge said...

Good dragnfly photos, it's nice you were able to get so close.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I love sunflowers, sparrows and skimmers! What a wonderful post! Glad you were able to get the sparrow out of the suet feeder!

Mary said...

Becky: I throw so much seed around and spill so much filling the feeders that I always have a huge crop of volunteers :-) The soil there is tilled or in some places very shallow and no grass to compete with. They grow very well and I love all the different sizes.

John: I've decided that dragonflies are fairly easy if you just see where their favorite resting spots are and sit down in the grass and wait. This skimmer does't rest very often! I spent about an hour last night watching it fly back and forth and it never did rest anywhere. I'm not good at photographing them in the air.

Kerri: It was such a cute little sparrow and looked so scared. I hope it had not been there very long.

The Birdlady said...

Beautiful sunflower! The dragonflies are nice too.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

The close-up / macro bug has got you for sure Mary!! LOL!! What a good idea there about the sunflower!!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Great close-ups! My mom needs to work on hers a bit more.
--JB

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Great pictures, Mary. I'm glad you noticed the bird so you were able to rescue it. I once stopped by my in-laws house and heard a pitiful sound in the yard. I walked over to a feeder and found a goldfinch with its head stuck inside a coil that was meant to deter squirrels. I was able to extract the little bird and it flew off.

abb said...

Aren't sunflower blossoms just gorgeous??

Glad you were home to rescue little sparrow!

I have a large bird feeder and a chickadee crawled through on of the feed holes. He was happier than a pig in mud for quite a while, gorgeing himself. When he finally started flying at the sides, and then trying to climb back out the hole, I opened the top and away he went.

Mary said...

Birdlady: Thanks!

Joan: Well....I just use a "point and shoot" camera, so I don't think I'll be doing anything to macro....no lens.

JB: I just get lucky usually....it isn't like I know what I'm doing.

Sandpiper and Annie: I'm glad I saw it, too. I hate having an animal get hurt and it be my fault. I had a chickadee get caught in a "squirrel proof" feeder once that had a cage around it and didn't find it before it died. Maybe that is why I don't try too hard to keep the squirrels away.

Eve said...

You have so many cool dragonflies Mary! I'm jealous!!!

Mary said...

Eve: Well, this is the last new one that I have. Now I'm mostly trying to photograph the females.