Monday, June 16, 2008

"Tracking the illusive Amberwings and the Eastern Pondhawk female"....

I feel like I'm on a safari looking for "critters" who are very illusive and much too small!

Emily at Art of the Masses left me a message saying that dragonfly in swedish translates as "magic spindel"......isn't that cool sounding? Thanks, Emily!

This is the first picture I have of a female Eastern Pondhawk.....facing me head on so I couldn't see the rest of her!



....she does have a very interesting face :-)

My only other picture of her is with the male. I have no idea what her abdomen color is! I'd love to see her posing somewhere for me.

I included this photo to show how tiny the little Eastern Amberwings are next to this huge carp that lives in our pond.....can you spot them in the picture? There are at least two.

Here are a whole mess of them....or a few reflections mixed in . This was one of the few pictures that I got that showed what the female looked like (her wings are spotted looking)

I do have some GOOD pictures, but wanted to show these first.

Can you spot the Amberwings in wheel position in this photo below?
Give up?

Here is a close-up of them hanging off the dead plants.

The male Eastern Amberwing finally landed so I could take a few photos!

I'm learning that the trick is to figure out their favorite resting spots. They come back to certain places over and over.

I liked the reflections on this one.

It looks so nice on the green grass.


More Amberwings in wheel position. You can see her spotted wings here. I wish she would settle somewhere so I could get a good photo of her!......maybe later.......

I thought this one was funny because it was so flat you barely see the wings.

Looks like a tiny bi-plane waiting for take-off.


(note: I have Vacation Bible School every night this week, so my computer time will be more limited than normal and I may not get a lot of pictures taken or get around to all the blogs. Never fear! I'll be back by the weekend, and catch up.)

12 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Very cool! I love the last one - I'll bet it would be striking in B&W too.

Mary said...

Helen: Thanks! Never thought about B&W.

me ann my camera said...

Your dragonflies photos are amazing! Great detail and the colour of them is such a delight to look at! Like the green head face on it the first photo! And don't you just love them all; they are fascinating; how do you find them all?!

Cicero Sings said...

Sounds and looks like you are having a lot of your back yard safari! Goes to show, ones doesn't need to travel half way around the worlds to see amazing things!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What an excellent series Mary!! These are terrific. You are getting very, very good with these dragonflies.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Absolutely wonderful pictures, Mary! You got such good details in your shots and lots of variety and action, too!!

Becky said...

Mary
These pictures are just wonderful ! You do a spectacular job! I love that green one. It looks like some kind of a sifi creature.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone!
Ann: I've only photographed 4 kinds and they all live in my own backyard pond, so all I have to do is sit there on the bank and wait for them to land near me. I'd like to get better pictures of the females. The males are very active, but the females are harder to spot. I have yet to see the female Widow Skimmer.

Cicero: It is fun to "safari" at home, and a relief to not have to go somewhere constantly right now when I have other stuff I have to do :-)

Joan: practice, practice..you don't see all the empty shots I throw out :-)

Sandpiper: I'm getting hooked on these little "dragons".

Anonymous said...

Great shots Mary

Mary said...

Thanks, Roy!

sandy said...

Fantastic photos and never saw a pondhawk before. Really enjoyed this series Mary..

s

Mary said...

Sandy: Now that I've discovered these little creatures, I keep wanting to find more of them :-) I love all the cool names they have.