Saturday, June 21, 2008

This and that from the wetlands....

2 butterflies on the milkweed
A new dragonfly!......Common Whitetail

Finally a picture of the Eastern Pondhawk female!


The Widow Skimmer male.....I can't resist taking pictures of this one every time it holds still. It is such a pretty one with its black and white wings.



The geese families are still hanging around in the marsh......

........and one goose all alone.

A couple more pictures of the Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth.
This was my best shot showing its back.

I liked the way it hovered in this one. You can easily tell how the word "hummingbird" gets into its name. They are about the same size and hover around the flowers.


While trying to focus on a dragonfly on the boardwalk, I realized that right beside me on the railing was this spider with a caterpillar! Can't identify either, but thought it was really interesting to see him dragging it wherever he was going.

(Vacation Bible School is over....very successful, but tiring. I'm still coughing, but a little less droopy and plan to spend the day doing very little :-)


13 comments:

mercè said...

You have grasped a loving, tender moment.
Another majestic one, the ducks. Other of great beauty: the dragonflies...
And also a moth flying around.
And other...� real as the same life" the spider hoarding what will be a monstrous banquet.

All the shots, so always: of great precision and beauty. Congratulations!!!

Mary said...

Baba: Thank you for stopping by! I just looked at your wonderful photo blogs! Very stunning photos!

me ann my camera said...

The dragonflies in your area are so colourful, like the beautiful green female eastern pondhawk! We have the Common Whitetail here so that is one that I recognize. Beautiful butterflies too but they are not famililar to me, but milkweed I recognize! What a wonderful place the wetlands must be and how fortunate for you to have such an area close. The ants dragging the caterpillar is very unique! Great pictures.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wow Mary. You have so many great shots here, but I think that female Easyern Ponhawk has to be my favorite of this series. What a beaut!!

Mary said...

Ann: Thanks! I just saw a new dragonfly today that I haven't managed to identify yet. Hope to post it soon. The 2 types of blue ones that I've seen are easily the most numerous.

abb said...

Lovely as always - thought it's rather barbarian, I do love those spider/caterpillar pictures.

Yes, I'm strange!

Mary said...

Hello Joan! Your comment sneaked in while I was responding to Ann, apparently and I didn't see it :-) I thought the ponhawk female was pretty, too, but then green is my favorite color!

Annie: It was sort of gruesome, yet fascinating. I think the caterpillar looks like a monarch, what I could see of it. Hope the spider doesn't catch too many.

Becky said...

More good Dragonfly pictures.
I can't wait till our Milkweed flowers open up. They are so slow, or is it that I'm just really anxious?
I think that spider is up to no good!

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks! I think you are just really anxious :-) I see that my patch is getting wilted looking :-( I agree about the spider....they usually are.

Kerri Farley said...

Great shots! I am a big dragonfly fan too!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

No problem Mary. I like green too.

sandy said...

Wow, food chain in action!!!

s

Mary said...

Kerri: welcome! I'm becoming really interested in those little dragonflies. Never bothered to look at them in the past.

Joan: Oh, goody, another green fan.

Sandy: Ah, yes....sure glad we aren't down on that end of the chain.