I have a friend who raises worms of all sorts to sell to bait stores. She also has mealworms....that tasty treat that some of you buy for your birds!
This is one of the plastic containers she raises them in. The stuff in the bottom is oatbran and there is shredded paper on top for them to hide in.
Inside is a mixture of the darkling beetles that make the mealworms and mealworms in assorted stages.
I don't know about this.......as soon as I saw the bugs, my interest in raising my own mealworms went downhill fast!
I'm actually holding a handful of assorted bugs and worms! Susan says the beetles don't fly off....but the websites I checked said that they do! She feeds them an apple whenever they run out of something to eat. Doesn't that sound like fun??? Not for me! Sorry. Let the birds find their own worms like God intended them to!
Here are two websites that I looked at, if you want to learn more about raising your own.
11 comments:
Interesting post.
Hmmmm... not my cup of tea either, though obviously a tasty treat for some. I prefer the bigger size colourful bugs and insects and love to see them flying around in meadows and gardens where they are busy doing what nature intended them to do. An interesting post though.
Two weeks ago, I started wishing I were raising mealworms! When the entire national supply runs dry in the middle of bluebird season, it's pretty hard on bird store owners! Thank goodness for the dried ones - and thank goodness I got plenty of those before they an out too.
FTP: I think they are sort of yucky, but I guess someone has to raise them!
Ann: I prefer my bugs outside, also.....and less "creepy".
Helen: She made it sound like it was easy to raise them, so maybe you should start growing your own for the store! Or find someone local who would do it for you. She offered me these to raise....she's moving to Chicago in a couple of weeks.
I occasionally buy live mealworms and I thought I might raise them at one point, until they turned into beetles, then I was too disturbed to continue. Too bad, because it would save me some money, but the fast crawling beetles were too much for me.
NW Nature Nut: That's exactly the way that I felt when I saw that container of crawling bugs!! Worms, I can handle....bugs? NO!
Are you reading my mind? I was just going to ask Bruce if she had ever done this and how to go about it!! LOL!! Thanks for this Mary!!
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ;-) No way would raise these! I'm too squeamish.
eeeooooowwwwwww!
Joan: More power to you! I suppose they aren't really that bad, but I really didn't like those bugs!!!
Sandpiper and Sandy: Oh, goody...more squemish women :-) I'm not alone!
This creeped my mom out a bit!
--JB
Post a Comment