Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Images from several walks.....

This is a mixture of images from several walks and home. Some from yesterday, some older.Interesting bud
I liked the curve of this leaf

Cute little squirrel we saw at the park yesterday


I thought this "heart" on this tree was cool and couldn't believe that some kids hadn't come along and carved their initials in it! I guess kids don't do that sort of thing any more......probably a good thing :-)

The grape vines were really choking the trees



Seeds


Laura's worm :-) I could not get focused on it up-close for some reason. Too tired and too hurried, I'm sure.

Before I left the wetlands I spotted a Great Blue Heron. However, as I tried to get close, it took off and I only managed a couple of poor shots as it soared above the trees. I keep hoping it would come back.....it flew around for quite awhile.

Great Blue Heron in the "great blue sky"

Then as I headed for my car I spotted this goose that decided to leave on foot. It walked up to the road and looked for traffic.......

.....went out and walked around in the center of the road and luckily didn't get hit, and finally crossed over to the over side. I have no idea why. There is no water there.....just a hill of grass.

Back home......

This young sparrow was very interested in the mom Downy feeding Baby D. I think it was hoping to get a free handout. Mom D was not interested in feeding it. In fact she tried to shoo it away. There were 3 of the little sparrows hanging around trying to get to the suet. They like it as much as Baby D does.

I really think that Baby D needs to start feeding himself more! Big Baby.

14 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

The first picture makes me think of some little grasshopper-like creature getting ready to put its hands together. Love the delicate pattern and shape in the second one. The little squirrel peeking over the limb with its cute little "hand" showing is adorable. Nice spotting of the heart on the tree. I enjoyed all of your other pictures, too! So cute! Thanks for sharing these! Have a great day, Mary!

Mary said...

Sandpiper: Thanks! I can see your "creature" now that I look :-) The squirrel was very cute, but not sure he wanted us to see him.

me ann my camera said...

what a big variety of pictures. I like the heart shgape in the tree and the green worm looks really interesting. And it is difficult sometimes to get really close closeups. So after I had seen the bunch of little ants I ordered a macro lens for my camera and it arrived this morning! I am anxious to get out and see what it can do... now to find some bugs.

John Theberge said...

Interesting set of photos, I like the way the squirrel is peaking over the branch.

Mary said...

Ann: You take such good close-ups already that I figured you already had a macro lens! My camera has a macro setting, but sometimes I just can't get it to do what I want it to do. I think my batteries were dying which didn't help.

John: Thanks! He was a cutie.

Mike said...

Nice shots Mary, like the woody in the final shots.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love the little caterpillar Mary. It is funny you should post pictures of the goose taking off down the road - as I was on the way home today, they were saying on the radio that a goose was doing the same thing on one of our main highways in the rush hour traffic and causing chaos. A little later they said that someone stopped to pick it up and was taking it home as they lived on a farm.

Mary said...

Mike: Thanks! I've got about a half dozen woodpeckers trying to get to this suet right now...Downys and Hairy both. They are fun to watch.

Joan: My niece really loved the caterpillar, too. I think it was some sort of inch-worm? I really couldn't figure out what this goose had in mind. There was nothing out there for her on the other side that I could see. There are geese and ducks that have their babies in drainage ditches in our shopping area and wander around across the busy road and the parking lots with their babies! I'm always amazed they don't get hit. Maybe the goose and duck intellect is small :-)

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

I like the heart on the tree and how funny that the goose decided to walk down the street. That can't be safe!
--JB

Mary said...

JB: I thought the heart was very unique. I don't think geese are as smart as cats :-)

The Birdlady said...

Delightful little squirrel shot. Nice walk.

Mary said...

Helen: Thanks!

Becky said...

Incredable pictures. I love close-ups. Just learning with my new camera.

Mary said...

Becky: My camera is pretty much just "point and shoot" (or at least the user is :-) I don't have any special lens, but the macro setting does fairly well, if I can get right on top of the subject and it not go away....like plants.