
I decided if I got out fairly early it might not be so hot and muggy! Headed for the wetlands. There are 2 lakes side by side. This is the first lake and the one where I usually see the heron and the group of ducks that I call the "seven sisters". I think it must be deeper and has less vegetation covering the entire surface. Has a nice boardwalk.

I'll call this one Lake #2 and it is shallower, I think and has most of the surface covered in plants. Another nice boardwalk that is often under water when the water level is high.

A pair of Mallards on Lake ##2. The plants on it are now beginning to be covered with beautiful little yellow flowers.

The lake plants.....don't know their name, but they are pretty!

(Eve at
Sunny Side Up just identified this as an Eastern Pondhawk....what a cool name! Thanks Eve!)
There were dozens of dragonflies hovering over the surface and chasing each other. They all seem to be the same kind. This is my best shot when one landed on the boardwalk right in front of me. I think the back area where the wings attach looks "mechanical"......like something in a sci-fi movie or something! I only saw one other type of dragonfly and didn't get a good picture of it.

More blue dragonfly

In my shadow.....duh! Bad photographer!

The meadow around these lakes is now teeming with all sorts of wild plants. I saw many different blooming plants and have shown a few in the past. These were the first Sunflowers I've seen.

I have no idea what this white flower is, but it was very pretty. Below is a close-up.
(Thanks to Becky at
Woodynook Creations for telling me that this is Wild Quinine. )

If you click to make this bigger there are 2 little bugs on it :-)

These orange flowers were my favorites! I really liked them and would like to have a few in my garden, if I knew what they were! (Again....Becky identified this one as Butterfly Weed. Thanks!)


Didn't realize until I clicked to make it bigger that this flower is covered in bugs!
Well.....since I'm not getting a lot to post these days, I will save some stuff for tomorrow :-)
16 comments:
Stunning photos and great post Mary, love the perspective the sunflower gives.
Mike: Thanks! I figured it was about time I got out and took some pictures.
I like those orange flowers too Mary. It is so nice to have these lake not far from where you are, it must be teeming with birds and bugs.
Same here Mary, I got out early an it was hot.
Great place you have there for Dragonflies. All Lovely shots.
SAP Joan: I wish I knew what the orange flowers are. I will have to do some research. It's about 10 miles from my house, which isn't bad at all.
Roy: I should try to get out even earlier, but I'm a slow starter :-)
Yellow flowers, blue dragonflies, and ducks - great walk! Thanks for sharing.
That is a great dragonfly picture!! And isn't it pretty all in blue?!
It looks like you have a lovely place there to walk. I love walking on boardwalks that reach over water.
Birdlady: It was a colorful day for sure!
Ann: It's the only dragonfly that I seem to see. There were dozens of them on these ponds and the meadow. Must be very common. I saw one other one with what looked like black squares on its wings, but it was gone to quickly for me to get a picture. Will keep looking for it.
mary
I looked up your orange fowers and they look like Butterfly Weed. A member of the Milkweed family, and really a beautiful flower, but maybe they attract ants..
Love all your photos.
It's me again
I looked up the white flower, and it looks like Wild Quinine
What great wildflowers you have..
Becky: Thanks! They sure are beautiful and I would like some even if they do attract ants! I think they must have seeded this meadow specially for butterflies and such.
Becky: Thanks again...I feel like we are chatting since our messages are crossing! You must have a good wildflower book...I need to get one.
Hi Mary,
Any friend of Roy is a friend of mine! That is a butterfly weed and your dragonfly is an Eastern Pondhawk! Unless it's the Western!! Where are you located again??? Ha Ha!! Your pictures are wonderful!
Hello Eve! Glad to have you stop in. Thanks for the dragonfly identification! I live in southern Indiana which is in the toe of the state on the Ohio River.
Love the dragonfly shots and what gorgeous orange flowers too.
--JB
What a wonderful place this is. I love visiting wetland areas because they are teeming with wildlife. Pretty yellow flowers, whatever they are. The perspective on the sunflowers is wonderful. Great dragonfly picture and I like the shot of butterfly weed, too.
Post a Comment