Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A drive to New Harmony and this and that...

After a week of being busy with Vacation Bible School every night, Mike and I decided to spend part of Saturday driving around enjoying the outdoors. So we headed to New Harmony to see how high the Wabash River was and whatever else we might want to look at.As we entered town I saw this beautiful little church with its lovely flowers out front.


I really like these purple ones.

These were right across the street.......Beautiful white lilies!

The water by the river was up very high and the boatramp was closed, but we stopped in a parking lot that was partly under water and I saw this robin gleaning the edge of the water.

The Golden Raintrees are in bloom right now. New Harmony has many scattered throughout the town. This one was on the way there and a good place for me to stop and take some pictures of these beautiful trees. Posey County, where New Harmony is located, is sometimes called "Raintree County" and there are many groups that use the name. My quilt guild is called the Raintree Quilter's Guild

The Raintree flowers

I like the way they fan out in clumps

Up-close!

Saw a lot of elderberry flowers along the roadsides. I love their shape and color

Went by the wetlands, too and found a Monarch


Some mushrooms pushing through the path


This is back home, but I love the color of these flowers

My best shot so far of the Amberwing female by the pond. The females never seem to rest a lot (naturally) and I am not good at photographing them in the air.....although Amberwings are easier for that then some of the others.

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh Dear!! I put in a comment and it disappeared....LOL!! Let me try again....

It looks like a wonderful day's outing Mary. Lots of beautiful photographs here.

abb said...

Are those beautiful purple flowers delphiniums? I can't tell. They're just lovely in front of that wonderful church.

And ya got that right! We females never do seem to rest a lot, no matter what species of female we are! ;-)

Photos...perfection as always!

Emily said...

So many dragonflies! I love your attention to all the glorious varieties!

Mary said...

Joan: How about that...first again :-) Don't you hate it when comment disappear and you have to start over?

Annie: I really didn't know what kind of flowers they were. I tend to only know things that I grow myself :-) I really liked their purple color and the mix with the other flowers there.

Emily: Dragonflies are fun once you get started on them :-)

Becky said...

mary
That church is so beautiful. It could be in an Ideals book.
Those Raintree flowers are really pretty. I don't believe I've ever seen one.
More Dragonflies. I can't see how you can get such clear photos, and you can even tell the males from the females. Amazing !
Happy WW.

Mary said...

Becky: It was a very pretty little church. I get my best dragonfly pictures by just sitting down in an area where they like to land and wait. They like to rest in certain spots. Then I just zoom-in and shoot. I'm terrible at shots of them hovering because I don't know enough about camera settings. I'm the sort of person they make "point and shoot" cameras with autofocus for :-)

Mary said...

Becky: the male and female dragonflies tend to look a lot different. When I see a dragonfly I don't know, I usually Google a brief description...color...and search "images". I've also had a lot of help from several other bloggers...Eve, Tom, Ann. People love to help you!

me ann my camera said...

Raintree, what a beautiful name for a tree! And it is beautiful. Visiting your blog Mary, is often like watching a preview of what's to come for I haven't seen any Monarch butterflies yet, but we do have fritillaries now. I am also enjoying the great dragonflies photos which are resulting from your fascination with them.

We also did a change of scenery too and spent the day at the ocean; be watching for periwinkles and barnacles soon!

Mary said...

Ann: I think that Raintree is a cool name, too. They really are beautiful trees. I'm tempted to plant one somewhere. Look forward to your periwinkles and barnacles! I'm sure you will get better pictures of the Monarchs that I've gotten once they show up.

John Theberge said...

Wonderful series of photographs. The golden raintree must be a warmer climate tree because I don't think I've ever seen one in Maine, it's very interesting.

The Birdlady said...

What a beautiful little church. The golden rain tree made me sneeze. Thanks - all very nice.

Eve said...

Thanks for taking us along Mary! I love the church as well!! I love your new header and I thing you do an outstanding job of capturing the amberwings in flight!!!

Mary said...

John: I just looked up the garden zones and I'm zone 6. The raintree looks like it would be OK in 5. I don't know if you are 4 or 5 since Maine is split. Probably iffy where you live.

Helen: Would probably make me sneeze, too, if I was around it for very long :-)

Eve: Thanks! I figured I needed a dragonfly in my header right now since that's all I seem to take pictures of at the moment.