Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dragonflies.....it's becoming addictive

OK......you people out there have me watching dragonflies! Are you happy? I'm even trying to identify them!!I decided it made sense to check out my own lake and the first thing I saw were these 3 on this post! It seems to be a favorite resting place. I think they are 3 different ones....Blue Dasher on top, Eastern Pondhawk on the side (what is it doing???) and the Widow Skimmer at the bottom!

(I rattle off names like I know what I'm talking about and hope no one notices)

I really like this one!

I think it is a Widow Skimmer......looking at photos on line.

Isn't it beautiful and delicate looking??

There were 4 little amber colored "bugs"........I wasn't even sure if they are dragonflies?..... that kept buzzing everywhere and never stopped anywhere! They kept flying around this blue dragonfly sitting on the dead grass. I had a terrible time trying to get pictures of them!


A Blue Dasher male. I have a lot of these. Looking at this picture, it looked like it had 3 wings on this side, but the bottom one is just a reflection!

I tried to isolate these little amber colored ones. This was the best I could do with cropping a picture trying to see some details.

Eastern Amberwing?
Another shot of one


A wing spread shot. I can see little orange patches on the wings. Wish I could find one resting!
This video shows their constant activity and why I could not get those little amber ones any better!

I took more shots on Wednesday and am sorting them out. Got some good close-ups coming.

12 comments:

John Theberge said...

Great dragonfly photos and I really liked the video.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

I was taking pictures of dragonflies yesterday. It's not easy to catch them in flight. These pictures are terrific, Mary!

Mary said...

John: Thanks! It certainly is easier to catch them on video than still.

Sandpiper: I found a spot they liked to fly and just started shooting continuously :-) Real scientific method. Only took about 100 photos to get those 3 :-)

Eve said...

Mary!!! I am so proud of you!!!! You are doing a wonderful job at this! I'm pretty new at dragonflies as well and by next year you will have to look them all up again...but it won't take long and you'll know all your local guys!!! Thank you so much for sharing and keep em coming!!!

me ann my camera said...

Mary, I am laughing and smiling all at the same time; you have become hooked on Dragonflies!! Lovely! Aren't they beautiful and amazing in their detail and patterns and colours. And the names are so much fun too!!! Your pictures are wonderful!! The video is a good idea for sometimes they just won't stop and pose when you want them too. I click many pictures also and hope I have a few good ones when I download them later. I'll look forward to your next dragonfly post.

Mary said...

Eve and Ann: Yeah...these little creatures are pretty neat when you stop and look at them :-) I've always just watched them buzzing over the water and ignored them. Now I want to see all the details! I do love the names!

Becky said...

Hi Mary
Such great Dragonfly photos. They can't be very easy to get. I can't believe how many you photographed. Super post.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! I am glad to see our bad influence has rubbed off on you Mary. These are terrific shots. Once you get into this kind of photography, you will be hooked forever...it is addictive. LOL!!

sandy said...

Wow Mary...great dragonfly photos!!!

You did GOOD.

sand

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! They are pretty fascinating creatures, now that I've bothered to look at them :-) I'm determnied now to get better pictures of those little amber colored ones! They never stop moving.

Kingsdowner said...

Cracking shots - the Widow Skimmer's superb!

Mary said...

Kingsdowner: Thanks! I really like that one, too, but it doesn't hold still very often. I got really lucky to find it resting when I first arrived at the pond's edge.