I found a patch of milkweed that really attracts the butterflies, bees, and beetles.
I think that the flowers themselves are very interesting and beautiful!
This little beetle is a Milkweed Beetle....duh!
One of the butterlies that likes the milkweed
side view
Monarch from side
Monarch on the Butterfly Weed....blends nicely
I chased this poor butterfly around for quite a while trying to figure out why it looked so "strange"........finally realized it was 2 butterflies when it landed here! No privacy when you are a butterfly!
Here is a single one
I thought this was a funny shot looking straight down! I'm more apt to get them with the wings closed then open. After trying to kneel on the dock on my bad knee to photograph this one....chasing it over the side trying to get a close-up, and luckily not falling in the water while leaning over.....I decided to let it alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
You'd better be careful! But who can be, when there's so much to see and capture..."so little time, so much nature" Well done.
Great shots of such flighty creatures! That Milkweed looks pretty interesting too ... I don't think we have it here.
Wonderful shots! Did you find any monarch caterpillars? I love the chrysalis they make - it's so beautiful.
Have you noticed yet it's quite easy to get down on your knees and quite another thing to get back up? Growing older is such a marvelous thing at times!
Helen: so little time is right...on days like this I just want to spend it all taking pictures :-)
Cicero: I thought it was interesting, too and know that it attracts the caterpillars like Annie mentions.
Annie: Ah, yes....I always feel a bit like an "elephant" when I try to get back up after getting down on that bad knee. I wouldn't want another photographer around when I have to get up :-) Didn't see any chrysalis yet.
Milkweed must attract lots of butterflies. My mom keeps trying to get me a picture of a butterfly and they keep flying away. Great set of photos again!
--JB
JB: I understand your mom's problem. I can't get them to hold still either most of the time. Make sure you don't shred any wings....my bad kitties have done that before when they were younger.
My! My! You have got hooked on macro photography. LOL!! Good for you. Once you start photographing these smaller creatures, you do not get it out of your blood and you just get more involved every day. WONDERFUL pictures Mary. I love them!!
It is my understanding that the milkweed is poisonous. Because of these insects feeding on them, the birds do not eat them.
Love these shots...I told someone else that butterflies are one of God's most beautiful creations. I really enjoy seeing all the pictures of them.
Joan: That's interesting to know about the milkweed. Thanks!
Rose: They are beautiful, but hard to catch up with to take pictures.
Oh, those bad knees. I can relate, but that makes us all the more intent to get those speaial shots. Love the Butterfly pictures. We have tons of Milkweed, and I'll be waiting for it to blossom. Great Post.
Mary your dragonfly photos are spectacular! Now it’s time to get out the butterfly book!!! Thanks for sharing your “creatures great and small”! I wish I was there in your milkweed patch with you!!
Becky: Thanks! The main reason I have no real flower garden any more, is that it's too hard to garden with one leg stretched out beside me because the knee hurts. I plant perenials mostly and weed seldom.
Mary,
The Monarch is an unbelievable colour and pattern.
Mary, now you're into butterflies! Milkweed is such a wonderful place to find butterflies and you're is much more advanced that ours as ours is not in bloom yet. The first orange butterfly you have shown is a fritillary and the yellow one is probably a sulphur; the little brownish orangish one I'm not sure and don't want to hazard a guess as it might be misleading. A skipper for the last one, I don't think so but just a guess, do you have Tawny Emperors in your area? Hope your knees hold up with all this extra activity of yours chasing after after butterflies! Great pictures!
Roy: thanks! It wasn't a very good picture of the Monarch...never could get it to spread its wings and pose nicely for me. Will keep trying.
Ann: thanks for all the identifications! I need to buy a butterfly book....and a wildflower book...and a dragonfly book....(sigh). I'm so busy with VBS right now that I didn't take time to try to find out what they were. VBS is harder on the knee than the photography....I tripped last night and fell flat on my face and my good knee. Feel pretty good this morning considering.
Lovely shots - it's great to have flowers in the garden that attract butterflies - and you've got some great ones visiting.
Kingsdowner: I wish that I could claim those as my flowers, but those are at the wetlands that I like to visit. I may try to get some of both the mildweed and butterfly weed to grow at my house, because I sure like their flowers and the butterflies that come to them!
Post a Comment