Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...


A church close to my house, has a nature preserve with a couple nice trails to hike....although by the time I went down....down...down.....and then up...up....up...up.....I wasn't sure this was a good idea for my knee! A local boy scout troop meets there and I believe they take care of the trails. The early part had mulch and some new steps had been built and some work on a bridge or two. Other parts of the trail were very narrow and had May Apples springing up that I kept trying hard not to step on!
There were May Apples coming up everywhere. This was the most predominant wildflower that was already up. I did see three others.....this white one that I've forgotten the name of and some Dutchman's Breeches and Vinca.


Just resting before going back up :-)


Anytime I see a hole in a tree.....I want to know what lives there!!! I have an awful lot of pictures of holes in trees, but no knowledge of their inhabitants.....alas :-(

I can't resist one shot of the old tombstones as I head back to the car.

14 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

This looks like a beautiful place, Mary! I love seeing all the woodland flowers and plants coming up. Your spring is quite far ahead of us. I like the saying about the wildflowers. Beautiful pictures. The last one of the cemetery has some great shadows and light.

Cicero Sings said...

Lovely to see a church with a nature reserve! I think Christians in particular should be leading the charge on preserving nature ... the keepers of the Earth ... God's commission to Adam!

We don't have May Apples here ... they look neat.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: Thanks! It was a nice place to walk....except for those steps :-) I got a shot in the knee yesterday...should help. I love old cemeteries and tombstones and often visit them various places.

Cicero sings: I agree! If a church has a nice property like this one, it would be a shame not to make it available to the public and keep it up. Christians appreciate what God has created and should show it!

Mike said...

Looks like a great place to explore with a camera. From your pictures of the new growth, it looks like your spring is slightly ahead of ours.

Mary said...

Mike: It is a nice place and I will go back in a week or two when more will be blooming. I imagine that southern Indiana is a couple zones further south than you. I'm expecting redbuds and crab apples and dogwoods to start blooming soon.

sandy said...

What great photos. I love this area you posted.

sandy

April said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post with the wild flowers. What a beautiful park!
I see you found a tree with a hole in it too. :)

Tom Arbour said...

Awesome nature preserve Mary, the white flowered plant with narrow and divided leaves looks like cut-leaf toothwort or a similar species.

Tom

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Very nice post. Love the signs too!
--JB

Mary said...

Hello Sandy and thank you! I should have read your post about staying on the path back on March 28th :-) when I almost stepped on rattlesnakes.

April: Yes, indeed...I'm good at finding tree holes....just not at figuring out what goes in them!

Tom: Thank you! I knew someone would tell me what that flower is:-) I see it every year around here, but couldn't remember the name. I always like the delicate look of wildflowers.

JB: ThankS! I thought the signs were a very tactful way to encourage good nature walk behavior. I think a lot of kids come here for scout hikes and such...and adults probably come looking for morels.

sandy said...

hi Mary...Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to enjoy this blog, so much nature!

and watch out for those snakes.

s

me ann my camera said...

This is the sort of place that will only get more beautiful as the season progresses. Wildflowers are always a source of beauty to me too and I constantly search them out. I like the old tombsones too.

Anne på Moseplassen said...

Absolutely beautiful! I like the old churchyards and their unkempt charm. And the pathway with all its little wonders were also beautiful

Mary said...

Sandy: Thanks! I'll be back to your blog, too.

Me and My Camera: I'm glad this trail is so close to where I live and really should explore it more often. I used to take daily walks around the cemetary until my knee acted up.

Mosefruen: Thank you! Churchyards that have their own cemeteries are always interesting to me....more so than the big commercial ones. Such charm and history.