Monday, April 7, 2008

Talking turtles..


Since we are talking about turtles......I dug this picture out of an old file. We saw him walking up our driveway one summer day. He headed around the corner of the garage and straight for the pond. He seemed to know the way! I'd never seen a big soft shelled turtle like this up close. This was before digital cameras and I only have 2 pics of him (remember when we used to conserve film and not snap 100 pictures of everything we saw???). I wish I'd see one again! I know we have turtles in our pond, but never see more than a nose peeking up out of the water occasionally. I thought the pointy nose on this one was interesting!

8 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Aren't digital cameras wonderful?!

Mary said...

Cicero Sings: Yes, indeed!

Mike said...

You forgot to mention in your notes on this turtle that it was large almost two feet from nose to tail. You don't get the full effect just sitting in the drive.

Mary said...

That is true. I can make you "guest editor" of my blog :-) You remember detail better than I do!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Wow, Mary, that's a big turtle and very strange looking with that nose. I've seen a picture of a turtle like this before, but I think it was a turtle in Florida.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: As far as I can tell from checking on the Internet, it is a Spiny Soft Shell Turtle. I really didn't find too much about them for Indiana.

April said...

I love your turtle photo and the story about him "walking up" your driveway. :)

Mary said...

April: Perhaps it was more of a "glide" :-) He certainly knew exactly where he was going and was a very unexpected find in the middle of the driveway.