For the first time since February 12, the Pileated Woodpecker female showed up briefly at my suet feeder late this afternoon! I managed to grab a couple quick shots before she spooked and flew off.
And my foxy "red bellied" squirrels!
(pictures through this window sometimes seem to have a hazy look when it is sunny, but the squirrel was too cute to ignore.)
11 comments:
Fantastic!! A pileated at your feeder!!! How great is that?!?! Great pictures. I love the squirrel poses, too. Too cute!!
Sandpiper: Thanks! I'm always surprised by the Pileated. She must live nearby.
We have Pileated here, but only is very coniferous areas, so I don't get them in my yard, (deep sigh.)
I just posted some of the Northern Flickers who are very active in my yard right now, they are the next best thing I guess. Nice pictures as usual!!
NW Nature Nut: Thanks! I like your Flicker! I wish they would come back here! I love any kind of woodpecker!
WOW now thats a woodpecker, lovely shots Mary.
Mike: Big, isn't she! I'm always surprised when she comes to the feeder because it is as close as it looks in the picture...no more than 5-6 feet from the camera, right outside my front door. She's brave...but spooks easy.
I got a kick out of the last photo of the squirrel with his paw against the center of the feeder. It's like he's holding it down so it doesn't go any where.
You are so lucky to get a Pileated at your feeders! We never do. The first time I had seen a Pileated the size of it really shocked me, it was so big!
Also an amusing pose of the Squirrel displaying its ownership in the last picture, like its saying, "Its mine!"
John: Squirrels always provide something humerous for us. I thought maybe he was tagging home base :-) Or as Me and My Camera points out, saying : "Mine!"
Me and My Camera: Yes, I am fortunate, even though she doesn't come often. I'd probably never see one otherwise. I'm not as good at photos in the wild like many of you wonderful bloggers out there! I do better with birds that come to me :-) I hope she comes back. I put that suet feeder on the tree that is further away just for her, but she continues to come to the one right by the house.
Like the others, I'm amazed that you have a pileated at the feeder! We have lotsof them, but never at the feeder! I think that birds come to feeders better where there is snow cover in the winter--they find them then.
Hello Bruce! It amazes me too. They just don't seem like "feeder" birds :-) I guess there isn't a lot of other stuff to eat right now.
Post a Comment