Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pretzel dunking Grackles and Duck vandals....


Wednesday when we took shelled corn and bread stuffing mix to the geese and ducks at the park, we also had a visit from several grackles. They apparently like their bread soft.....I hadn't even thought about that....so they picked up the pieces and carefully carried them to the edge of the lake and dunked them to soften them up.
This one found a nice pretzel to dunk that someone left behind. Should I have provided a mustard dip?
There was a sneaky "gang" of duck vandals who decided to ignore the bread and corn and go up the hill where they could strip the leaves and buds off of this low hanging tree limb. Some sort of extremist vegetarians, I'm sure. Seem to be enjoying themselves.
Finally.....we have Spring Beauties growing all over the grass in the park. My botany professor always said that when the Spring Beauties bloomed it was only about two weeks until warm weather was here for good.......I hope he was right because we have a cold front moving our way!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

And it's here. So chilly this morning! The close up of the grackle is amazing. You can't get that close in real life!

Mary said...

Melissa: Well...hopefully this is our last cold spell. Grackles aren't my favorite bird, but that one really stood out, as well as the interesting behavior.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

We have a ton of grackles in Texas. Sometimes they hang out by the hundreds in trees....kind of like the Hitchcock movie, The Birds!
--JB

Mary said...

JB: Ah, yes...I get them that way in the winter when the weather is really bad...did a post back on February 11 of hundreds of them at my feeders....but luckily they don't come around much once nice weather is here. I don't mind 1 or 2, but like you say, in mass they feel very much like a Hitchcock movie!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Wonderful pictures. The shiny grackles look beautiful and I love the picture of the white duck with his mouth open. Quack! ;-) Nice to see flowers again. Today was really warm here - sweater weather and some people weren't even wearing sweaters. We saw several convertibles with the tops down, too. Down by the shore, there were trees getting leaves.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: Thanks! Unfortunately, we are in for a late cold spell. Monday night is suppose to get as low as 29! Brrrrrrr! Just when you think it is all gone :-(

me ann my camera said...

You create the most interesting post titles that really invite one to follow along to discover a good read. Now if I could only find some Spring Beauties with the two week promise to follow. I think I missed out by not having taken any botany classes :-) The action of the Grackles is surprising to see too.

Mary said...

Me and My Camera: Good morning! This morning it doesn't feel like spring here any more (where is my nice hot tea?). I'm counting on that 2 week promise of warm weather anyway! The Grackles were funny to watch....so patiently carrying bits and pieces to the water's edge to soak them.