And one House Finch, who would like me to stop messing with the flowers and put some seed in this feeder!
Monday, April 7, 2008
Flowers....wild or store-bought....I love them all!
I've been out looking for wildflowers and also shooting pictures of things beginning to flower at home. I love flowers of any kind!
The violets are beginning to bloom and are one of my favorite flowers. I let them grow anywhere in my yard that they desire. Makes for some really funny grass cutting in the blooming season....I can't run over the flowers! I have both purple and white ones. I love the delicate look and color of both.

One person's weed is another person's wildflower. I like anything that blooms and looks pretty. I'm not big on identifying plants......so you will have to guess at what I post. I actually used to know how to identify plants. Here is a picture of my "Gray's Manual of Botany" by M. L. Fernald that was the "bible" for my Plant Taxonomy class 40 years ago......all 1632 pages! (the only reason it looks unused, is because I bought it after I graduated......honest....I did use it once upon a time.
I even got an "A" in the class and this probably was the beginning of my love for plants. I started out in biology loving animals but a really great botany professor changed me to loving both. However.......since I haven't used it for a very long time, I now just go out and enjoy my plants without knowing what they are :-) Like the following 2 pictures.....whatever they are.
Weeds or wildflowers.....your choice.
I went to Lowe's yesterday and came home with a whole bunch of violas and pansies and a few tulips in a pot! I'm tempting fate to buy too soon, but I know that all of these like the cooler temps we will continue to have for awhile. I'm ready for any sign of color I can find!
Hopey gave them the "sniff" test, but seemed unimpressed. I don't care...what does a cat know about flowers??
I couldn't resist these lovely orange pansies! I'll mix them with something else.
And these! I'm sure they will be lovely and all of this will get put in the ground or pots in the next couple of days. 
And one House Finch, who would like me to stop messing with the flowers and put some seed in this feeder!
And one House Finch, who would like me to stop messing with the flowers and put some seed in this feeder!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I always think I visit all my favorite blogs every day, but when I get to them there are suddenly three days worth of good stuff that I haven't seen. Time flies when you're having fun.
I loved your turtle post! You can see them so much better than here where they are all covered in duck weed. The baby turtle as so cute! It's not the same variety as the sunning ones though. With that ridge down the back, it looks more like a snapper.
All your plants are lovely--hope they do well. I didn't know you could put bulbs into the ground when they are blooming!
Thanks for looking at my wild flowers too.
Such a lovely springtime post, Mary. All of your flowers are beautiful. I even like the weeds, too. Some of the teensy ones are especially pretty when you look at them closely. Your spring season is ahead of mine here.
Bruce: thanks for the info on the turtles. I hope that Me and My Camera sees it because she asked about what kind they were. These will be covered in duckweed eventually. I was surprised that the water was not covered with it, but I guess it is too early here. I won't put the tulips in the ground until they finish blooming probably. They are in a peat pot of some sort..may plant easily.
Sandpiper: Good morning! Spring is coming right along, but I still haven't seen too many blooms on my flowering bushes. It is cool at night and we always have to worry about a late frost. However, the yard is badly in need of mowing already! Drat.
Lovely shots of Spring, there! The flowers and birds are a very welcome site!! Thanks!
Aunt B: I'm certainly ready for spring and all the color I can find.
Post a Comment