

Mike and I decided to go by Howell Wetlands on Saturday....it was such a nice spring-like day! We didn't see many birds....a few twittering in the trees, but in the water we saw log after log of turtles! I was fascinated and took lots of pictures...so did Mike. I don't know who took what, but here are some turtles.....more than you might wish to see :-)

There are some houses along one edge of the wetlands and we met a lady who said that every year she sees the turtles lay eggs in her yard. She watches for the little ones to hatch and trys to deliver them to the water's edge safely. She had one that she was taking to the water and let me hold it. Cool! It was so tiny! Considering how many turtles we saw, I don't think she has to worry too much about saving them.......or maybe she has done a really
good job of saving them :-)
12 comments:
Wow! Just look at them all. I saw my "first of the season" turtles yesterday, along with some frogs, but not nearly this many! I love seeing them all lined up like that. The picture of the turtle with the goose is so cute! And that teensy one in your hand is precious! What a fun day!
Never too many turtles. The one balancing on the top peak of the log is cool. Definitely on my to do list.
What a sight, love the photos think its the 6th one down with the turtle balancing on its stomach.
Hello everyone! I liked that turtle balancing on his stomach, too and wondered how he was going to get back down! It was a bit out of focus, because I was using the digital zoom, I had never seen so many turtles in one area...I gave up trying to count them.
That's one lot of turtles! I too like the balancing act.
I agree with Melissa - never too many.
These remind me of one of my favourite bible verses :
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
This always seemed strange to me until I realised that it referred to Turtle Doves!
Ciscero Sings: Hello and welcome to my blog! I just looked at yours and will visit some more later. The turtles were piled everywhere and I really am not sure how that little guy got balance up there. Climbed some other turtles and got stranded when they left, I guess :-)
Kingsdowner: Seeing turtles was a nice change from birds and flowers. I like the Bible quote...it sounds like spring for sure! I wasn't familiar with it and I would have been confused by the reference to "the voice of the turtle", too! I use the NIV mostly, and it just says "doves". The other sounds more poetic :-)
Sorry - more used to the Old English!
What an amazing amount of turtles!!! I take a lot of turtle pictures when they are out and about sunning themselves and I thought I probably had a record sighting once when I photographed 17 but you've totally outdone my record! Do you know what kind they are? These are wonderful pictures!
Me and My Camera: I'm not very knowledgable about turtles...I think some or all are Red-eared Sliders. That is the only turtle name that I know. I thought I could see the red on a couple of the heads.
Really liked your Goose and Turtle composition.
Love the piles of turtles. So cute!
--JB
Post a Comment