This is last summer......it looked fine then! What happened??????
My plan at the moment is to leave the dead dogwood (do you think I could pin artificial leaves on it??? maybe let a vine grow up through it????) Don't laugh.....I'm desperate!!!
Maybe cut off a couple of branches on one side and then plant a new tree...the biggest that I can....right next to it. Once it is well established, I'll get rid of the dogwood. Will have to consult a tree person to see if that will work. I need my tree! Of all the trees that I have this one is my most important bird tree.
I don't know what to do. It is going to take too long to grow a replacement! I have no other tree in a good place to take pictures of birds. That leaves the patio doors onto the deck....where I also have feeders.....but the glass has developed a problem that allows moisture in between the layers, so until we get that fixed, most of the time I can't take pictures there. Sigh.
You may get to see a lot of pictures of birds on feeders hung from shepherds hooks this year. Sigh. This is sooooooooo depressing.
11 comments:
Oh, bummer. Are you sure it's not a late bloomer? If it were me, I'd leave it and plant another one nearby.
By the way, I see you really do live in a dome. Kewl :)
Oh, how sad! I'm so sorry, Mary. I would leave it until it absolutely has to go. Just keep an eye on it because it's close to your house and you don't want to invite insects. Let the woodpeckers enjoy it for awhile, and maybe plant something near it that grows fast, but not too tall. We have a pretty Weeping Cherry that I love. It grew really fast and the birds love it.
Wren and Sandpiper: Thanks for "mourning" my tree with me. What really frustrates me is that I have no idea why it died! Maybe I hung one too many bird feeders in it :-) Unfortunately there isn't a lot of room between where it is and the pad in front of the garage. I hate to get rid of it until I plant something new, but don't know if there is enough room. I would have been less surprised if the ornamental cherry on the other side had died. This dogwood seemed to be perfectly healthy and has been there for many years.
You mentioned you lived in a dome and I too, was interested to see what it looked like! Too sad about the tree ... dogwoods are very nice. This site:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/Ornamental/odin23/od23.htm
outlines some possible causes of death.
Cicero sings: Thanks for the dogwood information. Maybe I killed it with all the sunflower seeds around it....I hope not! If you search my blog for "dome" and "inventors" there are some other pictures of my house and references to domes and Buckminister Fuller. It is very energy effecient...6" walls...and bigger then it looks.
You took the words right out of my mouth...leave the tree...I would! I think a vine growing in it would be great and the birds will still have their "perches" which they love when they line up for the feeders.
Sorry...I had a tree up and die last summer. Who knows how these things happen.
how sad to hear about your tree :( You can absolutly plant climbers to climb on it, how about clematis?
I think a dead tree will stand for a long time and I also would look for just a glimmer of new growth around the base of it, maybe? Meanwhile plant a fast grower and shepherd crooks.
On another topic, I love your title picture! Its very beautiful.
Nw Nature Nut: I guess I will consult a nursery about what I can do. It will look pretty ugly having a dead tree right by the front door. I can cut back all the smaller branches and leave some perches. The space next to it isn't very large to get another tree in there if the roots are a problem. We also have underground utilities and cable runs right through that area....drat!
Mosefruen: I've always wanted a Clematis! Now I have a good reason to plant one! There are hostas around the base of it.
Me and My Camera: I am really surprised that I see no growth anywhere to indicate that the roots are still alive and trying to sent out something. This tree grew back from its roots once before when it was younger..it literally sort of came up from being a "bush" back into a tree again. Thanks for the comment on the title picture. One spring I took a couple of my quilts outside and hung them in the flowering trees to take pictures and really loved the combinations. I figured this is a way to put the "fabric" back into my title for a while :-)
Sorry to hear about your dogwood tree. I have a very old dogwood in my yard and I don't think it's going to live many more years. I planted another one this last weekend but it will be years and years before it is big.
Jessica: I think I care more about it not being there for the birds (and my picture taking) than anything else. It was the perfect place for them to sit in the shade and eat at the feeders right by my window. Worked well for both of us:-)
Post a Comment