Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Molting Goldfinches.....


They really are quite messy looking as they molt! I would love to find the feathers that are being shed and look closely at them. Here are a few of my "Motley Crew" of Goldfinches.





I guess that looking bad, makes them a wee bit "testy", too........looking at the following behavior.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Mary,

Aren't Goldfinches adorable? Even though they look "motley" right now...LOL! They have sweet dispositions in comparison to some others. I never seem them squabble much, either.

Great photos!

Mary

Mary said...

Mary: Yes, they usually seem very even tempered and are less spooked by me taking pictures than any other bird. When they sit and eat, they don't let much of anything bother them. And they are so pretty once they get through "the change".

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

So sweet and such nice shots of the changeover! Can't wait till they are in 'full bloom'. Thanks!

Mary said...

Aunt B: Thanks! Blooming birds are nice when flowers are not yet blooming :-)

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Motley crew or not, they are still so pretty! I have mostly house finches here and I love hearing them outside my window chattering away. Such good pictures, Mary.

Mary said...

Sandpiper: Thanks! My house finches seem to have gone done in numbers, so I guess they went to your house :-) I still have a few along with the pine siskins that visit each day. All of my numbers have gone down with the arrival of spring.

April said...

Nice pictures of the molting goldfinches. Love their yellow coloring. That's also an interesting feeder you have.

Anonymous said...

Mary,

Your Goldfinches look more like our Siskins rather than our Goldfinchs..

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/siskin/index.asp

Roy

Tom Arbour said...

Mary, You definitely have goldfinches! The Stoke's of the bird guide series don't seem to have them yet in NH. Check out this post:

Do You have Goldfinches?

Mary said...

April: Thanks! The feeder attachment was bought at a bird food store somewhere. Probably have them on-line. They turn any 2 liter bottle into a bird feeder. The birds like it and with a green bottle, it doesn't look too bad. I wish I had several more.

Roy: Our pine siskins are in the same family as the goldfinches and I often see them feeding togeher. I posted a Pine siskin picture yesterday....very stripped with a yellow bar on the wing.

Tom: I always have goldfinches no matter what time of year it is. I'll have to respond to their blog. Thanks for showing it to me!

Mike said...

Hi Mary, enjoyed your Magnolia images. Love to have on in my backyard, but we're to far north. The variety of birds at your feeder must make for enoyable viewing.

Mary said...

Mike: Thank you! You have a lovely blog, which I will be visiting regularly, I'm sure. We are probably on the edge of Magnolia territory here..good years, bad years.